GS needs a performance similar to what corona offers

diegocsdiegocs Member Posts: 531
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
from what i've seen corona sdk manages memory way better than gamesalad does, and this is making me want to change to corona, because i have 2 projects that use spawning and destroy very frequently and because of gs poor handling of memory usage my games have a severe fps loss. In the other hand corona does this flawlessly from what i've heard.

We also need all the features that corona offers at least, this is another reason that many people are changing to corona it is way more flexible.

But they don't count with 2 features that Gs does: no coding required (main reason i'm sticking with gs still) and a level editor (where you place everything where you want , with no need of code)

So GS you need to fix this fast before i and maybe many other gs user start changingto corona, just like firemaple did with its title the secrets of grisly manor

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    I agree. I'd love game salad to have performance with memory/loading much closer to corona. Not sure how likely that is with how gamesalad works but fingers crossed.

But as you point out, the no coding thing is such a massive plus that alot of us would not be making games at all. As the idea of learning coding seems so tedious. I know some old action script coding and that's about it.

I was looking into corona the other day. It does look good but I think gamesalad will get better and better.
  • HyryttyHyrytty Member Posts: 39
    I'm also pending between GameSalad and Corona at the moment. Only reason I'm not picking Corona right now is because the lack of tutorials / help on the forums. And only reason I'm not picking GameSalad is because of the performance and loading times
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    NahirC said:
    I'm also pending between GameSalad and Corona at the moment. Only reason I'm not picking Corona right now is because the lack of tutorials / help on the forums. And only reason I'm not picking GameSalad is because of the performance and loading times

Dont know where your looking, because theres tons of tutorials resources and documentation on corona
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    diegocs said:
    from what i've seen corona sdk manages memory way better than gamesalad does, and this is making me want to change to corona, because i have 2 projects that use spawning and destroy very frequently and because of gs poor handling of memory usage my games have a severe fps loss. In the other hand corona does this flawlessly from what i've heard.

We also need all the features that corona offers at least, this is another reason that many people are changing to corona it is way more flexible.

But they don't count with 2 features that Gs does: no coding required (main reason i'm sticking with gs still) and a level editor (where you place everything where you want , with no need of code)

So GS you need to fix this fast before i and maybe many other gs user start changingto corona, just like firemaple did with its title the secrets of grisly manor

I have a great idea you can try ...

Head over to the Corona forum and make a post like you did except this time tell them to put a GUI in like GS has! While you are there, threaten them that you will move on if they don't include that pronto! Oh, perhaps you could suggest that they offer a free version too!

Don't let your game become a failure because of GS kid ... head over there NOW and get started. You could have "Hello World" (in RED) up and running before bed time :)
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    Dont know where your looking, because theres tons of tutorials resources and documentation on corona

Everyone refers me to their API section where they list all the commands you use in your code. But that's not too much of help when you do not know what most of the words mean and how to place what and where. The only tutorials I've found that have been kind of helpful are the ones posted on Ansca's youtube channel, and that's the balloon example that isn't too much of a game? Could you link me to some good tutorials?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    It seems like they could use a good textbook. :)
    http://developer.anscamobile.com/resources/docs/

The ballon example will tell you how to declare and make objects set there color ect. Once you set a object say local player. You can then plug apis in code under it to do what you want. Theres also drag and drop tutorials and ect on the video section of there site.

Also remember corona uses lua, so look up lua tutorials and exampls not just corona only stuff
  • HachikoHachiko Member Posts: 330
    Really, the SDK itself comes with a lot of tutorials about every feature of the sdk, from animating, to moving, touching, using accelerometer..everything!
    Just look on the site or in your corona folder, you'll find lots!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    I have been looking at corona for the past couple days/week. I like the fact that there are many users and not many complainers. Many key features to an app. I also love the simplicity of GS. One bad thing about corona forums is they don't seem as much friendly as these. Not saying they are mean over there, it's just with less people you know almost everyone. Idk if that made sense. Anyways I plan to use both in the future depending on what GS brings to us.
    DL
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Whilst I like the look of Corona, and have played with it briefly, and was very impressed with it's relative ease of use, GS has a massive bonus over it in the Scene Editor.

Building levels etc without the scene editor is just no fun :)

I wish the GS loading times were as good as Corona though. Loading also feels less intrusive in Corona.

GS is getting there over time. In the 12 months I've been here using it, there have been some pretty big improvements in speed and loading (Who remembers the days of 10-15 second initial load times?)

I also wish GS updated as much as Corona seems to.

They have in app purchases in the next drop (Massive!)

GS is still my tool of choice, but after seeing the re-write of Grisly Manor, and how much of a better play experience the Corona version is, I'm getting more and more tempted to give it a proper go.
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    http://developer.anscamobile.com/resources/docs/

The ballon example will tell you how to declare and make objects set there color ect. Once you set a object say local player. You can then plug apis in code under it to do what you want. Theres also drag and drop tutorials and ect on the video section of there site.

Also remember corona uses lua, so look up lua tutorials and exampls not just corona only stuff

Hachiko said:
    Really, the SDK itself comes with a lot of tutorials about every feature of the sdk, from animating, to moving, touching, using accelerometer..everything!
    Just look on the site or in your corona folder, you'll find lots!

cheers
    Photics said:
    It seems like they could use a good textbook. :)

It seems like someone already suggested that to you!

p.s. i have $24.99 saved up in my piggy bank and waiting for your triumphant announcement!
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Wow... I didn't know Joe made the switch to Corona. He's like GameSalad's star player. I think Tshirtbooth, Darren and Joe are the most successful GameSalad developers. Darren seems to have gotten more aggressive with GameSalad, while Tshirtbooth has become even more involved with GameSalad. I was surprised to find out about this news.

http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2010/11/16/secret-grisly-manor

Although, considering his experience with Flash, it probably should have happened sooner.

This is a HUGE warning sign for GameSalad. The lack of performance is killing them. To compete with Corona, GameSalad should probably do the following...

1) Drop the forced splash screen for professional

Alternative marketing plan here...
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=15743

2) Fix the performance issues. That should be top priority before any new features.
    3) If they can't fix performance quickly, beat Corona with features - get Game Center in there immediately.
    4) Don't let Corona get an edge. It looks really bad if they can implement in-app purchases but GameSalad can't. APPLE ALREADY DID MOST OF THE WORK!

What I find interesting in all the hype, I haven't seen a really good Corona success story. (I don't count Bubble Ball. I don't think that's as big of a success as Bumps.) I think it's stunning to see Joe's Android app make only make 10 sales in one day. That's horrible... quite demoralizing. It's like, "Why bother with Android?" Although, I realized that issue with paid Android apps like two years ago.
    xyloFUN said:
    p.s. i have $24.99 saved up in my piggy bank and waiting for your triumphant announcement!

I think I'd enjoy making a Corona Textbook. There seems to be a need for one, but I'm not sure the demand is big enough. The community seems different. When I posted here about creating a Textbook, the response was wonderful... and I didn't have a previous textbook to point at.

Memories...
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=7748
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    OK OK OK, I'll buy 2 then!
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    I've been using corona for the past week, in tandem with gs to create the same game in both engines. one thing corona seriously lacks is the ability to change an images colour in the way gs does. at the moment I'm favouring the gs build, but still a way to go!
    gazjm said:
    I've been using corona for the past week, in tandem with gs to create the same game in both engines. one thing corona seriously lacks is the ability to change an images colour in the way gs does. at the moment I'm favouring the gs build, but still a way to go!

You can change the alpha color ect just like you can in gamesalad.

adjusting alpha requirse the object.alpha api

then to adjust the actual color you use object:setFillColor (r,g,b(a,)

What i love about gamesalad is what was said above how you can visually plan out your levels and everything offscreen as well
    @johnpapiomitis if I import a White image, can I set it's colour like you can in gs? for example, if I have a hoop, the image is white, can I make it green?

If I can then that's a big bonus!

Cheers
    I mean an image/png file. not a rectangle or circle etc.
    gazjm said:
    @johnpapiomitis if I import a White image, can I set it's colour like you can in gs? for example, if I have a hoop, the image is white, can I mak it green?

If I can then that's a big bonus!

Cheers

yepps. Looking forward to see your finished experiment ;)
    thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

When I have the two versions at the same point I will make a video if each and update the thread I created about it!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @gazjm and john: you currently cannot change the color of an image like you can in GameSalad. Corona also does not have different blending modes like additive, multiplicative, etc.

Each SDK has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    thanks for pointing that out firemaple, im lacking sleep and didnt noticed the second post he made right after. He means a hoop .png
    damn! But that's what I thought. that's why I got a bit excited by what John said! Haha.

I have a work around but it means it's not as smooth a transition between hoop colours as the gs version!
    gazjm said:
    damn! But that's what I thought. that's why I got a bit excited by what John said! Haha.

I have a work around but it means it's not as smooth a transition between hoop colours as the gs version!

ahh sorry:( im very sleep deprived right now lol
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    this doesn't belong in "working with gamesalad"

I'm moving it to misc.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807