OFF TOPIC : Pier Solar for Mega Drive/Genesis - BRILLIANT!

AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that the new RPG for Sega Genesis, Pier Solar is AMAZING. If you have a Genesis or SMD, you owe it to yourself to grab a copy! The first run sold out but is now available in "reprint" form, which I think is much nicer anyway as it comes in a proper plastic clamshell, like the good old days!

Check out www.piersolar.com.

And NO, I have NOTHING to do with the game or the company, I just bought it and I am addicted and wanted to share the retro gaming love :)

Comments

• FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    WOW... amazing dedication of indie developers.

product looks great. Fits in with the 90s rpgs

I said to myself, that one pic looks like Lunar... but it's Solar. ;-)
  • Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    I checked this out too I have been looking into info on the game since you posted it. I finally decided to order it myself, but when I tried (only a few minutes ago) it stated out of stock :(

I have a question for you polygame

How much is it? I could not find a price and it would not let me go father in the order form to see price due to it being out of stock.
  • massalimassali Member Posts: 57
    Damn. That's awesome! Do you guys have a MegaDrive lying around?
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Player_E said:
    I checked this out too I have been looking into info on the game since you posted it. I finally decided to order it myself, but when I tried (only a few minutes ago) it stated out of stock :(

I have a question for you polygame

How much is it? I could not find a price and it would not let me go father in the order form to see price due to it being out of stock.

Yeah, I knew the first run of reprints had sold out but I still thought you could order as they are doing another run soon. Just keep an eye on the site. They said they do a run/ship every 45 days. Orders should be open again soon. The reprint version is US$45 including shipping. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

I have the JP art version of the first run and an EU one still in the post. The one I have received is incredible - by FAR the nicest piece of SMD gear on my shelf. The game is amazing quality from the packaging to the gameplay.

I scored a Mega CD unit yesterday, which enables me to play the game with PCM sound from the included disk (you need to download the disk with reprint editions - all perfectly legal). The PCM music and atmos adds a heap to the game, I highly recommend it!
    massali said:
    Damn. That's awesome! Do you guys have a MegaDrive lying around?

I do :) Two - both boxed and mint ;-) I also have 2 Sega Master System 2s and a Mega CD2 unit. All I need to complete the collection is a boxed PAL 32X. LOL. The SMD is my main console. Believe it or not, I sold my X360 and haven't missed it. Hehe. Love the 16-bit!
  • massalimassali Member Posts: 57
    POLYGAMe said:
    I do :) Two - both boxed and mint ;-) I also have 2 Sega Master System 2s and a Mega CD2 unit. All I need to complete the collection is a boxed PAL 32X. LOL. The SMD is my main console. Believe it or not, I sold my X360 and haven't missed it. Hehe. Love the 16-bit!

Cool. That's pretty friggin' awesome!

Do you know if I can play it via an emulator if I buy it?
    I never had any Sega consoles, I was all over the Nintendo ones. Unfortunately.
    massali said:
    Cool. That's pretty friggin' awesome!

Do you know if I can play it via an emulator if I buy it?
    I never had any Sega consoles, I was all over the Nintendo ones. Unfortunately.

Sorry, the game is too advanced and uses a heap of cool SMD features that no emulators can currently handle.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    That is just so awesome! I know the Mega Drive was your favorite system (even though we both know the SNES RULES!!)

JK ;)
    butterbean said:
    That is just so awesome! I know the Mega Drive was your favorite system (even though we both know the SNES RULES!!)

JK ;)

I do have a mint in box copy of Super Mario Kart... about the only SNES game worth playing :P
    POLYGAMe said:
    I do have a mint in box copy of Super Mario Kart... about the only SNES game worth playing :P

Oh Really?? lol

You didn't like Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, and a whole slew of titles that were awesome? :)

http://www.theflatness.com/2008/11/snes-vs-genesis-eternal-struggle.html
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    butterbean said:
    Oh Really?? lol

You didn't like Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, and a whole slew of titles that were awesome? :)

I love you more every day! :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

butterbean said:
    Oh Really?? lol

No. And they are all Mario games in case you hadn't noticed... hardly decent variety :P
    POLYGAMe said:
    No. And they are all Mario games in case you hadn't noticed... hardly decent variety :P

Okay Polygame, you want a list? You got a list :)

1) UN Squadron
    2) Sim City
    3) Super Bomberman 2
    4) Super Smash TV
    5) F-Zero
    6) Actraiser and Actraiser 2
    7) Tetris Attack
    8) Wild Guns
    9) Sunset Riders
    10) TMNT: Turtles in Time
    11) Pocky and Rocky
    12) Harvest Moon
    13) Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    14) Super Punch Out
    15) Sparkster
    16) Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
    17) Super Castlevania IV
    18) Kirby Super Star Ultra
    19) Mega Man X3
    20) Super Metroid
    21) Castlevania Dracula X
    22) Contra III: Alien Wars
    23) Gradius III
    24) Aladdin
    25) Star Fox

I didn't even name all the amazing RPG's like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, Illusion of Gaia, and Zelda: Link to the Past, as well as Mario RPG, Earthbound, AND not including all the Mario games on the system.

I owned both systems back in the day, and Mega Drive couldn't touch the SNES ;) I spent time with both, but in the end, the SNES is the best!

@QS: Thanks! :D
    butterbean said:
    Okay Polygame, you want a list? You got a list :)

1) UN Squadron
    2) Sim City
    3) Super Bomberman 2
    4) Super Smash TV
    5) F-Zero
    6) Actraiser and Actraiser 2
    7) Tetris Attack
    8) Wild Guns
    9) Sunset Riders
    10) TMNT: Turtles in Time
    11) Pocky and Rocky
    12) Harvest Moon
    13) Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    14) Super Punch Out
    15) Sparkster
    16) Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
    17) Super Castlevania IV
    18) Kirby Super Star Ultra
    19) Mega Man X3
    20) Super Metroid
    21) Castlevania Dracula X
    22) Contra III: Alien Wars
    23) Gradius III
    24) Aladdin
    25) Star Fox

I didn't even name all the amazing RPG's like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, Illusion of Gaia, and Zelda: Link to the Past, as well as Mario RPG, Earthbound, AND not including all the Mario games on the system.

I owned both systems back in the day, and Mega Drive couldn't touch the SNES ;) I spent time with both, but in the end, the SNES is the best!

@QS: Thanks! :D

None of those games set me on fire. Most were just pretty FX and nothing more (like F-Zero). I too had both machines. I'll admit if a game came out on both, I'd usually buy the SNES version as it had better gfx and sound (sometimes) but the majority of my playtime went into the SMD. Yeah, the SNES had some brilliant RPGs but the SMD couldn't be beaten for action games ;-)

I did like the Super FX games, StarFox was pretty darned cool... but then Virtua Racing came out and showed what the Genny could do with Sega's version ;-) Also, the controllers on the SNES SUCKED compared to the 6-button SMD offerings... I'm a massive Street Fighter fan ;-)
    <i>"Also, the controllers on the SNES SUCKED compared to the 6-button SMD offerings"</i>

You and I could talk about this until the cows come home! :) But I have to disagree on the controllers! Are you kidding? The SNES controller is probably one of the sleekest things ever made! The 6 button Genesis controller was an improvement, but still felt like a cheap toy to me....

Oh well! You'll always have your Mega Drive, and I'll always have the SNES!

Mind you, one of my favorite platformers ever is "Castle of Illusion" and "World of Illusion" so I still have love for the Genesis :)
    Yeah, I think it's definitely what you grew up with. My first machine (well, first DECENT one) was a Sega Master System. Of course, I then moved on to Mega Drive. Also, the Mega Drive has the Mega CD, there are some AMAZING games on that that blow the SNES away completely.

To me the SNES was great for RPGs and Mario stuff... any hardcore action wasn't very possible (yes, it was actually slower than the Sega, despite having better sound and gfx capabilities). The SMD could handle more sprites... remember Final Fight on SNES? ONLY TWO CHARACTERS AND ONE PLAYER!!!!! SMD had an arcade perfect port on Mega CD, though Streets of rage was a million times better, anyway ;-)

And let's not forget Road Rash and all the awesome sports and arcade titles! Madden was utter ass on SNES.

Both machines are good but the fact that there are several companies releasing stuff for the SMD these days says something ;-)

Oh, and as for the controllers... have you tried playing Street Fighter with that tiny SNES toy? Horrible.
    POLYGAMe said:
    Oh, and as for the controllers... have you tried playing Street Fighter with that tiny SNES toy? Horrible.

I played Street Fighter for YEARS with that 'toy'!

The SNES controller was simply the best in class in my opinion! And is *still* one of the greatest game controllers every made!

QS :D

• hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    I would have to say SNES controller over Mega Drive.
    Phew! Thank you QS and hrsmedia!

The SNES is very well known to be one of the BEST controller's ever made, it was a very solid controller.

System wise, Genesis may have been faster (with sonic and other games) but SNES really shined graphically, and had a wide variety of awesome games.

Genesis had it's moments, but SNES blew it out of the water!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    I don't even think I was born when you all were playing with these.
    DL
    DreamLab said:
    I don't even think I was born when you all were playing with these.
    DL

Lucky you didn't have to ever look at a SNES, then :P
    POLYGAMe said:
    Lucky you didn't have to ever look at a SNES, then :P

Or use a Genesis system to wipe your....

never mind :)
    Love meter still growing! :D

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    butterbean said:
    Or use a Genesis system to wipe your....

never mind :)

hahaha
    I'm going to punch you all heavily in your big stupid mouths. HAHAHAHA. I love you really, even if you have TERRIBLE taste in consoles ;-)
    POLYGAMe said:
    I'm going to punch you all heavily in your big stupid mouths. HAHAHAHA. I love you really, even if you have TERRIBLE taste in consoles ;-)

HAHAHA I can't believe you started a poll on it!! It's hilarious.... did you see the results? :)