Let's settle this once and for all!!!! SNES or SMD/GENNY? - POLL!

AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Okay, time to take a poll. Which is the greatest 16-Bit console of all time? The Super Nintendo or the Sega Mega Drive?

Personally I go for the SMD... not only were there masses of incredible games but there were the Mega CD and 32X addons, adding some terrific titles (well, the Mega CD did - lol).

Comments

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Personally I go for the SMD... not only were there masses of incredible games but there were the Mega CD and 32X addons, adding some terrific titles (well, the Mega CD did - lol).
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Snes games always seem(ed) so much better to me.

But then I had a Snes back in the day...and still have one now.

Better sound chip on the Snes, better controllers. Mode 7. Mario Kart, Starwing, Zelda.

Sure the SMD has some great games, but to me, they always feel a bit more rough around the edges for some reason.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Please also start a thread about Windows vs OSX vs Linux and maybe about Superman vs Batman.

I didn't see it often enough yet.

If possible, everything with caps lock and hundreds of ! and ?... would you do that for me please?
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    Sparkyidr said:
    Snes games always seem(ed) so much better to me.

But then I had a Snes back in the day...and still have one now.

Better sound chip on the Snes, better controllers. Mode 7. Mario Kart, Starwing, Zelda.

Sure the SMD has some great games, but to me, they always feel a bit more rough around the edges for some reason.

+1

-Josh
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed, Poly! ;)

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    megadrive all the way for me! had one until I foolishly sold it and bought a used 3DO!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Uh Oh Poly....

SNES = 8 Votes

Genesis (Mega Drive) = 3

*SNES is really, the best system EVER made, and one of the few old consoles I still have with a nice library of games.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    SNES, duh! How else can I play Rock n' Roll Racing! :P
    I just want to personally thank EVERYONE who voted SNES, You guys RULE!!
  • HachikoHachiko Member Posts: 330
    Sega Mega Drive. I got one when I was 3, and it was my first console ever ;_;
    Plus Sonic > Mario :P
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Zelda > Phatasy Star
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Zelda>every other game series!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    ktfright said:

/hi5

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I'm guessing most of you SNES guys are American... was a popular machine there. Here in NZ, and in Aussie, the Sega consoles were much more popular. I do like the SNES (especially the awesome Mode7 stuff), but I LOVE the Mega Drive... and Pier Solar just came out for it... it's amazing... show me a new SNES game ;-)
    ktfright said:

On a Mega Drive ;-)
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    ktfright said:

I think I love you.
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    There are a few special Genesis only games that really stand out - Shinobi Series, Strider (Arcade Port) Thunderforce, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight, and don't forget Forgotten Worlds! (Also Japan only favorite of ours "Yuyu Hakusho") but Nintendo, by entering the 16bit world later, produced a more powerful system, and they still had the software support advantage from the NES days, so more high quality titles ended up appearing for the system. It's a shame SEGA ended up losing 3 system wars in a row, but at least they held a stable second place! (Over NEC, CDI, later Atari*, etc.)

The unmistakable sound from a genesis is at times brilliant ( Yuzo Koshiro! ) but often annoyingly "sharp" and grating.

*did you know? Atari once owned the rights to release the NES in America, and DIDN'T DO IT.
    big mistake.

I still have a functional LYNX and games.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    SNES all the way..... the original Pilotwings was beautiful.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Chunkypixels said:
    SNES all the way..... the original Pilotwings was beautiful.

I love you too!

But nothing beats Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars. That was hands down the GREATEST RPG EVER. Even if you're not an RPG fan you gotta love this game.
    @Chunkypixels: LOVED Pilotwings too! That was a fabulous title!
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Pilotwings all the way!! Rocketpacks and parachuting!!!
    Pilotwings was/is awesome. I loved the N64 version too but the original mode 7 versions of Pilotwings and Mario Kart I still find extremely playable and stunning to look at! There's no doubt that the SNES was a powerhouse, I just found more games that I liked on the SMD. Shadow Dancer, the Shining Force series, Super Monaco GP, Madden, Road Rash, so many amazing games! Oh and Streets of Rage - best beat'em up ever!
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    Please also start a thread about Windows vs OSX vs Linux and maybe about Superman vs Batman.

I didn't see it often enough yet.

If possible, everything with caps lock and hundreds of ! and ?... would you do that for me please?

I could do that... or I could just ignore you ;-)
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    Cant believe how poor the megadrive is doing! When I was younger there were only a couple of snes owners out of everyone I knew. the MD owned the space under the TV in my area!
    gazjm said:
    Cant believe how poor the megadrive is doing! When I was younger there were only a couple of snes owners out of everyone I knew. the MD owned the space under the TV in my area!

I agree... the rest of them are delusional :P