Need some advice on best method for character movement

joebear218joebear218 Member Posts: 33
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hi all,

So I'm working on a platformer and I'm wonder what people think is the best controls for movement when the game goes to iPhone. Obviously keyboard works great for development and I've created a d-pad to use on shooter game but the controlls aren't great, movement is still difficult transitioning from up/down and left/right. Any suggestions on something to use?

Thanks.

Joe

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Have you tried codemonkey's joystick example project? I've never tried it for a platformer, so I'm not sure if it would work well or not. Seems like it should be smoother than a d pad.
  • AuricAuric Member Posts: 35
    I've tweaked codemonkey's joystick example to fine tune it for my game. You should try the same.
  • joebear218joebear218 Member Posts: 33
    No not yet, I am thinking about possibly using the accelerometer the only thing is I don't want people to have to hold it flat so I want to figure out how to set up some kind of calibration tool.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    I say you do a method of if the player taps anywhere to the left or right of the player, walk accordingly, and then have a jump button.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    For accelerometer calibration I took mulcahy's idea from z for zombie and simplified it a bit. Create two real game attributes calibratedX and calibratedY.

Create an actor to act as a button. Create a rule that says when touch is pressed

change attribute game.calibratedX to accelerometer.X and
    change attribute game.calibratedY to acceleromter.Y

Then in your movement rules just use the two game attributes instead of the
    devices->accelerometer attributes