Attribute Browser doesn't show all the actors

BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
This is my first real attempt at creating a game in GS, and I have to tell you - it's pretty solid and feature packed so far! Can't wait for the ability to export to iPhone!

I created an near-full-screen actor that's just going to receive mouse events, so that it can tell the Player Actor what to do. I'm assuming I use the "Actor receives event" rule and "Change Attribute" of another actor. However, in the Attribute Browser window that pop-ups, it only shows "Game," "Device," and "Touch" (the name of itself). I can't seem to select any other Actor, specifically the Player, and typing it in manually causes the game not to launch or preview properly.

Any ideas?

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hey Beyond, welcome to the forums. Now to answer your questions...

An actor can only affect itself or a Game Attribute. This may seem odd at first, but once you understand the concept you realize the power/potential behind it. What are you trying to accomplish & maybe we can steer you in the right direction? I won't be able to respond again til mid afternoon Sunday, but if I can't one of the other regulars will.

-JGary
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Perhaps I'm going about this in a different manner, but I don't want the actual player to receive the mouse down/touchscreen event. I would like the Touch Actor to receive the X,Y coordinates, which will then tell the Player Actor to turn in the direction of the X,Y coordinates, then move to it. Exactly as you mentioned it - steer the player in the right direction. Think a tank or RTS game.

If I do go this way, can I make the Touch Actor invisible (i.e. Alpha to 0) and still be able to accept touch commands?

And, on a related note, are actor collisions and events constrained to the outline of a rectangle, polygon, or actual pixels? As a recent convert from Windows to Mac, I'm realizing I have to actually click on the application's icon, where as I could click within a rectangular range on a Windows icon to launch it.