Slalom game in portrait mode - which way is up? Or down??

SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
Hi All, Let's suppose I'm making a slalom type game, in portrait mode, so I want the player to be travelling downhill - which way is down? Should I have the player at the right of the screen, travelling to the left (down), or visa versa?
I've noticed a couple of side (up?) scrolling shooters, where the player's ship is at the left (bottom?) of the screen shooting to the right (upwards?), so I'm guessing that my slalom guy should be on the right (top) of the screen and point towards the left (down).
I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I don't want to confuse people by making them hold their iphone upside down!!
Thanks
Wayne

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    make the 'top' of your game the right of the game area. this way when people play it, the home button will be at the bottom.

so, all your artwork should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    Beaut, thanks for the confirmation Mulcahy. I've just joined the program, have downloaded the viewer, and haven't a clue how to get it on the ipod now! Off searching the site, I know I've seen it here somewhere!.....
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    do you need help getting the viewer on the iphone, or the game itself?

for the game itself, open the viewer on your iphone, and then open the gamesalad app. you should see a 'preview on iphone' button appear next to the normal preview button.

if you need help getting the viewer on the iphone, you're going to need to build the xcode app for your phone using your dev apple dev account. Im not sure if anyone has instructions already on that up here.
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    Thanks, I've just jumped through all the necessary hoops with apple to get certificates etc, thanks to the Wiki, but I haven't done the 'build the viewer onto the iphone' yet. I was kind of unsure as to wether this step was needed or not with 0.6.1, because I've managed to build the app, and have put it into my iTunes - the problem now is that I'm too scared to sync!! I am using my gilfriends ipod touch, and I have NO apps in my itunes, other than the one I have just built, and when I press the 'sync apps' button it warns me that the ipods apps will be 'REPLACED' with my apps. I have been caught out by OS X's replace terminology before (in Finder) and I'm VERY scared that if I press 'sync' all my girlfriends apps will be DELETED and I will be in big big BIG trouble!
    Am I really going to have to wait till Xmas when she is actually buying me my own ipod to get this game previewed?!
    Sooo....if I do the xcode thing and build the viewer to the ipod, will that just allow me to preview the app without killing all my girl's apps (and me in the process!)