What should I buy?

DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
Ok so what I have been saving my money for is either an ipad, a wacom tablet, or possibly the iphone 5 coming out this summer. Which would be the smartest buy?
PS- the wacom tablet I plan on getting is only 300$.
DL

Comments

• DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Whoever votes, can you please comment as to why I should pursue one of the options?
    dL
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    im in the same boat. Not sure weather to get iphone 4 verizon, a tablet or ipad.

Alot of people say sales or so much better with ipad so im thinking ill get a wifi ipad, and the just a bamboo pen tablet for 70 just to mess around with. Im no artist though so im sure if your fluent with ps and illustrator youll want a better tablet.

Kinda jumped around there lol id say ipad though, cause that opens up a whole other market, where the tablet just make things a little easier
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    DreamLab,
    If I was you, I'd get a micro wave!

Just imagine this ...

You are working on your next big Big BIG game ... and it takes GS for ever to switch between scenes .... what would you rather do?
    Stare at a brand new shiny WACOM tablet or watch a little 4" pizza rotating (like the busy wheel on the Mac) while the beautiful soft green little digit counter counts down the seconds ... mmm delicious pizza ...

If you think about it, a microwave makes the most sense. OK, a little popcorn machine beside the printer can be useful too.
    As far as putting a toaster too close the the magic mouse ... well, trust me, just don't do it!
    xyloFUN said:
    DreamLab,
    If I was you, I'd get a micro wave!

Just imagine this ...

You are working on your next big Big BIG game ... and it takes GS for ever to switch between scenes .... what would you rather do?
    Stare at a brand new shiny WACOM tablet or watch a little 4" pizza rotating (like the busy wheel on the Mac) while the beautiful soft green little digit counter counts down the seconds ... mmm delicious pizza ...

If you think about it, a microwave makes the most sense. OK, a little popcorn machine beside the printer can be useful too.
    As far as putting a toaster too close the the magic mouse ... well, trust me, just don't do it!

Just to put it out there I own all of those things. lol. Made me laugh though! haha.
    DL
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Personally I would go with the WACOM tablet, as that is an investment in yourself - which in my opinion is always the best investment.

The iPhone5 and the iPad are investments as well, and if you are serious about pursuing App Development you should eventually get them for testing. Releasing software for a device that you haven't even tested on is a little foolhardy.

However, you should be able to find people, either friends or family, that have one of them and will let you test on them. So it is not absolutely critical to own one.

Also, the iPhone5 - or any iPhone - also comes with a two-year contract. So in addition to the $500 phone, you will also have a monthly bill of around $100 for at least two years. So an iPhone5 is actually more like a $3000 investment!

There's another option to consider, and I just found out about this the other day, is if you have one of the more recent MacBooks or MacBook Pros with the glass trackpad - that trackpad is actually pressure sensitive!

You will need to get a conductive stylus, since the trackpad works like an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch.

If you combine that stylus with a program called Inklet - voila! - instant pressure sensitive drawing tablet!

They sell Inklet bundled with a stylus at most Apple Stores.

And that will only set you back 30$ or so...
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    @ Firemaple

I was actually thinking about doing that with the ipad, getting that with a stylus.
    Thanks everyone! I am still on the edge though. As of now I don't have enough for an ipad but enough for the tablet. Most likely I am going for the tablet BUT I am still not sure. more comments and votes will help.
    DL
    for what it's worth, I use a Bamboo "Fun & Touch" (or is it the other way around?) and it works really great!
    I have never used a "real" WACOM so I am not qualified to comment regarding the difference but to tell you the truth, the tablet has paid for itself already because you will use MUCH LESS batteries as the pen does not require any!
    Think about that ... ever since I started to us GS, I have at least burned trough 4 - 6 batteries in the mouse and two for the keyboard!

That would be another consideration and in the long run, the tablet will be free AND, you save the planet ... just a little :)

(i bought the tablet when it came out early last year?)
  • StanStan Member Posts: 138
    i'd go with Wacom as well. It all depends tho. I use my wacom all the time for everything.
    Stan said:
    i'd go with Wacom as well. It all depends tho. I use my wacom all the time for everything.

Ok, so as a graphic designer, would this be a tool I should get? Would it help me THAT much more?
    DL
    Man,
    you will never get married! BUY SOMETHING already! LOL
    I am 14, money doesn't come by easy at my age. So thats WHY I am taking the time to think about it.
    DL
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    DreamLab said:
    I am 14, money doesn't come by easy at my age. So thats WHY I am taking the time to think about it.
    DL

I am 14 and just ordered an iPad so I will tell you if it is a good investment

-Josh
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    I vote for iphone5
    But I think you should buy ram, it will make GS faster
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    I have not found a good stylus for the iPad and I tried them all... so if you are an artist looking to create, not sure the iPad is the tool for that just now.

Still, the iPad is the most useful piece of tech I ever bought. I take it everywhere and doing everything with it. Excluding GS... :(
  • joshmiller602joshmiller602 Member Posts: 206
    On my iPad now. If that's what you're developing for, then you need to know your customer, how they use their devices, and what they want or don't want. You'll never truly understand that without being immersed in their environment. Get an iPad Eifi...no contract, and does everything. I draw on mine with a $5 stylus and love it!
  • Who wants a wacnom tablet over an ipad??
    I just looked at the poll .... didn't know Allan Greenspan frequents this forum! LOL
  • calebdanielscalebdaniels Member Posts: 54
    I would say the iPad, definitely a greater investment. Also, there are many drawing apps that can be really detailed on the iPad, not the same as the tablet, but close. I just got an ipad 2 and it is great for gamesalad. I have had the tablet but I broke it by dropping it one day.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    So Im not the only one having to wait an hour for my scene to change so i can edit the next scene. Is GS often hit with the beach ball from hell wait tiimes?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Well after doing a little research, I think the iPad would be a better investment. There are tons of drawing apps already out there with more coming every day. The iPad also does a lot of other really nice stuff besides just drawing. It will also help you to create better iPad apps as well, which will help you pay for the device itself. I debated on weather or not you should wait for the iPhone 5, but after looking at some of the rumored features, I'm not to impressed...yet. Good luck.

- Alex
  • wsdomainwsdomain Member Posts: 35
    Go for iphone 5! it's an investment ;)
  • tim13211tim13211 Member Posts: 87
    i have an ipad and am loving it with an app called "inkPad"
  • juntaoujuntaou Member Posts: 9
    I wouldn't hold out for the 5(well I am, but be prepared to wait more than a couple of months), this info is being broadcast on most news sites now. Sad day for everyone that was waiting.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18113/iphone_5_release_date_confirmed_2012_rumor_roundup#uc
  • mangaroomangaroo Member Posts: 419
    Of course it depends on how much artwork you plan on doing yourself. I will add that I have a wacom tablet and ill tell you it is a hell of a lot easier to use the tablet than to do it by any other means..nothing is as fast etc (i have the intuos3 tablet-quite a hench one) BUT it just isn't as good on a mac. There aren't many customisable settings for the wacom and it just ends up acting like a mouse. It is not that bad but about 5x better on windows...with current drivers. iPad 2 next!

Some interesting recommendations to do the artwork on the iPad, anyone currently do that? - I'm going to use the iPhone to make some of my music but i could imagine art might be pretty fun on it too
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    A Wacom. You can't sign your name with a bar of soap so don't expect great shakes when trying to draw with a mouse. I have been using them for years and they transform working practice for graphics on a computer.
    Already bought the ipad 2. I decided I dont NEED the wacom even though all I do is art. I am still a teen. I use the ipad on and off work. I wouldnt use the wacom OFF work.

so I decided this.

my next investment is pro gs. then with the money I make from my next app, I will save up for the wacom cintique 21ux I think thats the name.