I know its 10mb, but...

ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
edited November -1 in iPhone and Android Publishing
i know its 10mb for online, but does that apply to an iphone game as well?

Comments

• beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    GOOD QUESTION!!!

that was a question that I want toknow and forgot to ask yesterday!!

I we create a game and we don´t want to share it on the gamesalad web...but...just buy the .app to sell on apple store, can we create applications with more than 10MB?

if so....how big can be our application size?
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Just keep this in mind when making an iPhone game. You WILL eliminate a LARGE audience if it is over 10mb. I for one usually don't download anything that is over that. For one reason & one reason only. I don't feel like connecting at home on wifi or downloading through iTunes. That may sound petty, but until ATT/Apple up the download limit over 3g I probably wouldn't make too many large games, unless it is REALLY good. This is just a personal opinion of mine though, but I wanted to share some insight =)
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    yeah, your kind of right, but i really just want to have a little more content for people who buy my app, and not give them something small like a one level game.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    You can certainly have more than one level and keep the game under 10MB!!!

Your DRFT game, for instance. That should easily fit within 10MB with quite a few additions to it (levels, hazards, etc etc) as the main premise is quite simple and fun. Building variations around this shouldn't take up too much space (I'd wager!).

I too wanted to know if you could go above the 10MB limit, but I'm starting to welcome that limit more and more these days. Use the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and you should be able to make lots of small, playable games that are fun to play!

Super Mario 64 only came in at around 5MB I believe? ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    i totally agree that its not the size limit that is going to ruin the game.
    but it all depends on how gamesalad makes this limit. because we cant compare numerically
    mario 64 that may be 5mb large, or even ocarina of time that should be around 32mb large to a 10mb game that gamesalad can make at the moment. im sure there are alot of optimizations to be made so it can use space the best way possible.
    my game at 1.8mb with 1 lvl is far from being a gigantic world like ocarina of time. i can maybe fit 10 levels in there? not sure. nad i still dont have sound! aaaaaaa hahahahaha.
    Well also consider that when the game is packed into an .app it will probably be compressed. I remember when I uploaded my game to gamesalad, the game was originally 1.8mb, but after converting to .game format it went to 1.2.

Also math is your friend. You don't need to create tons of rules for everything. Using simple math you can handle alot of things, without alot of rules. Of course, there's also a lot of things simple math WON'T handle & that you will need rules for.

On one of my games, I was creating a rule for every level of spell. Until I realized some simple math equations would power up the mana/att/duration very simply. That eliminated ALOT of rules. By eliminating all those rules I was able to cut the size down & also optimize the game, so it would run better. So in essence 10mb is a ton of space, unless you have a new graphic for everything. If you are reusing alot of the graphics then it won't be so bad. Have fun!

-JGary
    Math, my friend, has never, and will never, be my friend! :(

hehe, you're in the wrong profession then.
    :)

Nag, j/k. But it certainly makes for less work. Not hard math just simple adding, subtracting, division, and multiplication. You can make simple games without easily, but let's see ya make an rpg :P.

Btw Quantim, if you ever need help with the math portion in a game lemme know. I can try to help.

-JGary
    Fortunately, I have no intention of going *near* an RPG :)

And thanks for the offer of help! Wordz is me weaponz, innit, not maffs!

;)

• beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    JGary321 said:

" Just keep this in mind when making an iPhone game. You WILL eliminate a LARGE audience if it is over 10mb. I for one usually don't download anything that is over that. For one reason & one reason only. I don't feel like connecting at home on wifi or downloading through iTunes. That may sound petty, but until ATT/Apple up the download limit over 3g I probably wouldn't make too many large games, unless it is REALLY good. This is just a personal opinion of mine though, but I wanted to share some insight =).

Well also consider that when the game is packed into an .app it will probably be compressed. I remember when I uploaded my game to gamesalad, the game was originally 1.8mb, but after converting to .game format it went to 1.2. "

That was a valuable hint THANK YOU my friend...I am compressing my musics and found out that my game is going to fit perfect on the 10MB limits now!!

Very Nice hint here -> I for one usually don't download anything that is over that!!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I don't download games on the iphone either that are over 10mb, again, because I don't have the time to log into my computer and download it, unless it's a very worthy title (mostly brand name)

I'm making a very simple pick up and play game that even with 10 mins time, will make you feel somewhat accomplished, and want to come back for more :)