stereo sound

popoptionpopoption Member, PRO Posts: 8
Hi all,

I spoke with a someone from gamesalad who explained that the software does not use stereo sound, all sound is converted to mono for publishing on an ios device. Is this true? I see it happen in my games but I wanted an answer from the community. It seems weird to not implement stereo sound.

Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    and yet, sounds can be positioned in stereo space,
    which you can hear with the headphone jack plugged in.

I betcha the next iPad will have stereo sound.
    it's just silly for it to be mono.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    So how was this GS app (which is really good) done? All the tracks are stereo: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-audio-illusions/id415347876?mt=8

To keep a stereo track is the following correct?

In your sound editor split your stereo track into two mono tracks.
    Pan one hard left and the other hard right.
    Save them as ogg vorbis files separately.
    In GS play them as audio and tick the 'positional sound' checkbox.

If it is, what about when you select audio files?
  • FogelbergFogelberg Member Posts: 103
    It seems that music can be in stereo but sound files can only be mono. Thats really silly since I bet lots of people use headphones. I would like to play a mono sound track (in the middle) and play the FX really wide in stereo, but I guess that's not possible with GameSalad?!
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    shaz said:
    So how was this GS app (which is really good) done? All the tracks are stereo: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-audio-illusions/id415347876?mt=8

To keep a stereo track is the following correct?

In your sound editor split your stereo track into two mono tracks.
    Pan one hard left and the other hard right.
    Save them as ogg vorbis files separately.
    In GS play them as audio and tick the 'positional sound' checkbox.

If it is, what about when you select audio files?

That's not true stereo, you just have duplicate audio tracks playing in left and right sides. You would be better off just using 1 track and have it panned in the middle for file size purposes. If it's not going to be "true" stereo, you'd just be using up resources and not really gaining anything. You can do that in the audio editor, and then export out as mono, but having 2 tracks of the exact same thing and playing them at the same time is just eating up space and resources.