TIPS OF THE DAY: How to write a review from Promo Code

IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
Hello,
I've heard that many people thinks that this is impossible to write a review of game downloaded with a promo code.
I want to assure you that this IS possible.
1. Open iTunes on your computer, and click Redeem.
2. Enter your promo code and click Redeem.
3. Login with your iTunes account.
4. Download the game.
5. Enter the downloaded game's site on App Store.
6. Click "Buy App".
7. When App Store asks you if you are sure that you want to buy this app, click "Buy".
8. You will see that you have already purchased this item, and that you can download it again for free. Click "OK".
9. After downloading about 1 KB of the game, you can stop it.
10. Now you are able to write a review.

Hope that helps!

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Cheers for sharing...

I didn't realize you had to download them again to be able to review. Has it changed recently as I'm sure I used to be able to review after simply downloading the promo version.

Also I saw someone say the other say if they review with a promo version the review is seen world wide rather than just in your own country like it would with a normal paid/free download.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    stormystudio said:
    Cheers for sharing...

I didn't realize you had to download them again to be able to review. Has it changed recently as I'm sure I used to be able to review after simply downloading the promo version.

Also I saw someone say the other say if they review with a promo version the review is seen world wide rather than just in your own country like it would with a normal paid/free download.

Nope, if you buy an app with a promo code in US, and write a review in US, it will be visible only in US.
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    Yeah..thanks again MW! This really helped all the promo code reviewers I had who couldn't review it. After I emailed them all back, I got some emails back saying they were able to.

cheers,
    shane
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    If you can stand to wait a few hours itunes will let you write your review no problem. I redeem codes from my phone and then later in the day it recognizes that I have the game and allows the review to go through.

And honestly shouldn't you play the game a bit before adding a 5 star review? so waiting shouldn't be that big of a deal.

You want the reviews left to be honest otherwise anyone who does buy will come back and leave twice as bad of review than they would have because they were pissed the reviews the purchased based on were false.

When i'm offered a promo I play the game for a while and if its not something I would give a 4 or 5 star I will contact the dev and ask if they still want me to leave the review be fore sending it.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    tenrdrmer said:
    If you can stand to wait a few hours itunes will let you write your review no problem. I redeem codes from my phone and then later in the day it recognizes that I have the game and allows the review to go through.

That's the point. You use promo codes on your phone. Try to use them on your computer instead.
    I downloaded a lot of games with promo codes (even big companies titles), and I were unable to write a review even the next day. Then I tried the way described above, and it worked.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    TheMoonwalls said:
    That's the point. You use promo codes on your phone. Try to use them on your computer instead.
    I downloaded a lot of games with promo codes (even big companies titles), and I were unable to write a review even the next day. Then I tried the way described above, and it worked.

Ah I see. It's never taken more than a day for me for it to come available either place. I also sync my phone often so that may be how the computer knows.

Either way its a nice workaround. :)
  • EvilSniperXVEvilSniperXV Member Posts: 20
    I'll review it. Code please! If there are still some available! Looks great.

Also, how many downloads/purchases have you recieved? Game looks amazing.
  • apps4everyoneapps4everyone Member Posts: 103
    Just found this topic, which has answered the problem of people not always being to review my apps when they've had a promo code - thanks for the solution Moonwalls!
    TheMoonwalls said:
    Nope, if you buy an app with a promo code in US, and write a review in US, it will be visible only in US.

I didn't realise that reviews are only visible in the country where they are written. That sucks! This has prompted another question though.

If I send a UK promo code to a US reviewer, can they still redeem it? I'm now worried that I've sent a bunch of codes to reviewers who couldn't use them and have therefore ignored that app.

Thanks,

Simon