Registering under a Company, just confuse things?

mfinneymfinney Member Posts: 13
Hey all, I'm developing a few games and am planning on registering with Apple as a developer. I've read through the forum and found a few posts about this but not specifically what I want to know. If I fill out the developer paper work for Apple as a company would that complicate things? I suppose I need to get an LLC or DBA first? Do you any of you with companies pay taxes on the money you recieve from your game sales?

-Matt

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    It's a lot of work, and a pain in the arse. If there are more than one of you, it may be worth it, but if it's just you, I'd consider individual. I was going to go the company route, but it's just much much easier to do it as an individual.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    mfinney said:
    If I fill out the developer paper work for Apple as a company would that complicate things? I suppose I need to get an LLC or DBA first? Do you any of you with companies pay taxes on the money you recieve from your game sales?

Yes, registering a business for iOS development complicates things...

http://photics.com/apples-demand-for-iphone-business-developers-just-the-fax

I had to update my business certificate, which was an added expense.

Even with all that extra fuss, I like seeing "Photics" on my apps. It's more professional. I pay taxes on my earnings, but I would have to do that if I registered a business or as an individual.
  • mfinneymfinney Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone had any experience with just publishing games under a name and using your own SSN and registering an a solitary dev?
    Can that be done. Register with my real name under "blah blah media". Or does it definitely have to be a registered LLC?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    While I thought it was an inconvenience to meet there requests for business documentation but I don't think it was really that complicated more an inconvenience because of the wait time for my business license to be issued.
  • mfinneymfinney Member Posts: 13
    tenrdrmer, how much did the biz license cost you?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    mfinney said:
    tenrdrmer, how much did the biz license cost you?

that depends on where you live.
  • macewanmacewan Member Posts: 214
    legal zoom may be of use http://www.legalzoom.com/