D.I.Y. iphone marketing.(lots of useful links for getting your games noticed)

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
A friend sent me a link to this page, full of more useful links for places both paid and free to try and get your game marketed...

Certainly worth bookmarking for your next marketing onslaught...

D.I.Y. Marketing

http://www.toytek.co.uk/?p=1177

Some familiar websites on their, but it never hurts to send your game out to one unknown blog/website...etc...it might be that little unknown blog that some SUPER MEGA pop artist reads, they buy your app, they love it, they tweet how much they love it and before you know it 'BOOM!' your hanging out with some angry birds...

Comments

• simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    tks ...
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I think it's a big waste of time. I tried promoting The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook and I hit a lot of walls. This is an app that's highly acclaimed. It was even featured by Apple in the "What's Hot" books section of iTunes.

Yet, the majority of the review sites ignore the emails.

A good example... Touch Arcade... if it's some obscure game, like a Commodore or Turbo Graphics remake/emulator, that's front page news. A book that helps their developer community, that doesn't get any attention from them.

Even worse, sometimes I'll get an email from a review website telling me how I should be advertising on their website.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Photics said:
    I think it's a big waste of time. I tried promoting The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook and I hit a lot of walls. This is an app that's highly acclaimed. It was even featured by Apple in the "What's Hot" books section of iTunes.

Yet, the majority of the review sites ignore the emails.

A good example... Touch Arcade... if it's some obscure game, like a Commodore or Turbo Graphics remake/emulator, that's front page news. A book that helps their developer community, that doesn't get any attention from them.

Even worse, sometimes I'll get an email from a review website telling me how I should be advertising on their website.

That is quite annoying to get a response about how busy they are so you should check out their advertising options.

Honestly though I wouldn't expect many review sites to consider your book. as amazing as it is. its not what the majority of their site visitors are interested in. I would imagine most of the site traffic is not just the devs on the forum. its people looking for info on games and apps.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    stormystudio said:
    A friend sent me a link to this page, full of more useful links for places both paid and free to try and get your game marketed...

Certainly worth bookmarking for your next marketing onslaught...

D.I.Y. Marketing

http://www.toytek.co.uk/?p=1177

Some familiar websites on their, but it never hurts to send your game out to one unknown blog/website...etc...it might be that little unknown blog that some SUPER MEGA pop artist reads, they buy your app, they love it, they tweet how much they love it and before you know it 'BOOM!' your hanging out with some angry birds...

How weird! I used to work with person that founded Toytek!

Thought it sounded familiar!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    Hey photics, 148apps.com has just reviewed The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    hrsmedia said:
    Hey photics, 148apps.com has just reviewed The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

I just added a comment to the review at 148Apps. I didn't agree with their review as I found the book to be very useful and worth the money. It saved me days of going around in circles over some issues and I still refer back to it! Just thought the review needed some balance. Just my opinion of course. ;)
  • PIXOMUSEPIXOMUSE Member Posts: 101
    I'd agree with some points, sorry, especially the price... One of the reasons I won't be purchasing it and instead relying on the many, many video tuts that are available to get me up to speed.

NEW MACBOOK PRO's tomorrow!!! Can't wait, finally I will have a mac that I can develop on ! :)
    Ha ha, so there's another scenario to this option... when you finally get a review, it's not so great :)

He said what needed to be said though...

a nice resource to have
    does a pretty good job teaching

It's too bad he focused on the design of the app and less about what's in the app. He seems to have gotten hung up about page swiping. While that feature seems neat at first, it breaks the pages in odd ways. Page flipping was available with ePub/iBooks, but it was so slow.

"very few large picture examples"

That's simply inaccurate. There are lots of images. The article didn't show one of the great math charts or grid examples. That's like the essence of GameSalad.

The best looking version of the book was the printed version, but GameSalad changes too quickly for that. Perhaps when the software is out of beta I can relaunch it. I could probably add a page swiping feature to the app too.

Although, I like the app. I think it's great for quickly accessing GameSalad information. This is what I don't understand...

"In its current form, each page of the book is a pile of text situated onto the left side of a very large width screen."

What? The text is supposed to flow to the width of the screen. Maybe he was reading it in iPad Landscape. Otherwise, I don't see how the text would bunch up to the left side.

There's something else too...

"I’m starting with problems today"

Is the reviewer in a bad mood? The price seems to set him off. Sure, there are a lot of 99¢ apps out there. As an example, I think "Tiny Wings" is great. Angry Birds is a tremendous value. Are either of those apps going to make me money? They're time wasters. This is an educational book. You could pay a lot more for a class in GameSalad, does that mean we should get rid of schools?

MikeQuinn, your comment on the page about saving time is exactly right. The book can save days of your life. Sure, a lot of the information in the book is available online. Yet, there's no comprehensive guide from starting with GameSalad and ending up with a published game... all while pointing out the various pitfalls of the software.

There's no mention of the friendly and helpful tone of the book.
    There's no mention of the math section.
    There's no mention of specifics on what was good about the book.

Although, three stars is actually pretty good considering the overall tone of the article. I think it's a fair critique, but the review could have added more information about the good parts of the book.
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    Hi Photics, what tools do you use to make your book app?any tutorials?
    Thank you, Riffel
    Riffel said:
    Hi Photics, what tools do you use to make your book app?any tutorials?
    Thank you, Riffel

It was made with Xcode and HTML/CSS. Are you sure you want to copy the design of the app? Ha ha... Chris Hall seems to hate it.
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    I just wanna publish a book from a fried mine. It was in PDF format
    Riffel said:
    I just wanna publish a book from a fried mine. It was in PDF format

Basically, search for UIWebView. There are lots of interesting tutorials out there.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    As I wrote on the site, it's all a matter of perspective. To a user it's invaluable. Chris clearly isn't a GS user.
    If I were to review a book on building kit cars for example, I'm sure I would give it a low rating as I wouldn't "get it".
    Much better to be reviews by users themselves ;)
    Ah well, thanks for the updates Photics!
    By the way, I'm still using this book.
    MikeQuinn said:
    As I wrote on the site, it's all a matter of perspective. To a user it's invaluable. Chris clearly isn't a GS user.

I got that impression too. If you look at some of the greatest books of all time, are they judged by the printing quality and the number of images or are they're judged by the story and the information in the book? The review hardly mention the information in the book.

I'm still happy with the review overall, so maybe it's not a waste of time to send out promo codes. HA HA. It also inspired me to write this...

http://photics.com/how-to-respond-to-a-bad-review
    MikeQuinn said:
    Ah well, thanks for the updates Photics!
    By the way, I'm still using this book.
    I'm glad that you like the book. People from this community really seem to like the book. That's more important to me.