Calling all game devs for some advice.

dashnevadadashnevada Member Posts: 58
Hello guys

First off all I want to say hello to everyone here, it is a wonderful community were everyone helps everyone and I think with our creativity and ideas we make a lot of people happy by delivering them the best games around.

That being said, I'm writing this post to ask you guys for advice. I just graduated from college, I studied electrical and computer engineer with a minor in graphic design so I know about design, I know how to code and I know about embedded technology hardware (cell phones, tablets etc). But my true passion is game design for mobile devices. (that is why I am here)

So here is where I need some advice from you. I got offered a kinda boring entry level job to admin servers (I'm sorry if anyone here does that, meant not harm its just that I don't like it that much) and the job is outside my home city so after paying for expenses leaving in another city I would be making about 2.5k a month. doesn't sound like a lot but I'm 23 years old and I don't have a family to support so that kind of money is enough for me right now.

So I was planing to instead of taking that job offer I wanted to be an "entrepreneur" and start building lots and lots of games for iOS and maybe if I get a top game I could start my own company and start making more sophosticated games. (already got a couple of kick ass ideas)

So my question is, has anyone here done that? am I crazy? did you quit your day job to live from the app store?. I don't need to make a lot of money just about 1k a month would be nice. You think this is possible? or should I just take the job and live the normal 9-5 life?

I Don't want to ask you guys how much you make making games because it is such a rude question, but I'd love if anyone can tell me if you are having a decent income (more than 1k a month) from making games or if you could share your success stories.

Thank you very very much for your advice and I hope everyone can fulfill their dreams.

Dash

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Take the job
    Develop on the side
    When you make enough money quit and focus on game development

I think a few people here have done that
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Right now im a computer science major. Im putting myself threw college and paying my rent with my games and apps, with no otherjob.

But the minute i get that diploma ill be taking a job and doing my stuff on the side.

Thats the best way to go in my opinion
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I am a full time teacher. I have been working on GS for almost two years. My first dozen and a half games sucked. The last few have sucked less and I now make between 40-50 bucks a day on the appstore. I am also working on making games that go with a science curriculum that I hope to sell to school districts. It has been really nice to have a steady income while I made my suckiest games. I am now planning on doing this full time starting this summer. I think most people will tell you that they were proud of their first games at the time, but looking back it is almost laughable. Very few people make enough money to live on right away - it's like anything else, you have to work at it and learn from your mistakes. So I agree with Jon, take the job make your dozen and a half sucky games (not a comment on you - just my experience) and when you start making games that make you money you can do it full time.

Best of Luck!
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    I'm a doctor (hence the name). When I'm not with patients or writing my notes I'm making games. It's a hobby, not a way of life for me. I enjoy it, and the community is nice. Most game developers would love a job to pay bills and feed their bellies, because game design can be difficult (not every game comes out like Angry Birds).

I'd take the job, learn what you can while there (nothing beats experience; good or bad ones), program before/after work and on the weekends. Just be sure to get outside for your regular dose of Vitamin-D. Game developers tend to stay holed up for days on end programming things...
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I was a full-time Flash programmer/animator. The three games I created with GameSalad allowed me quit my day job - so anything is possible!

I have been making games and software for 15 years though. I definitely recommend making games on the side at first, and learn as much as you possibly can!
  • dashnevadadashnevada Member Posts: 58
    Thank you very much for your advice. I guess I could take a job offer and work on game developing on the side like you suggested. the job doesn't start until April 1st thou, I guess that gives me enough time to make a game and see how it sells.

thank you very much
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    I'd agree with everyone here so far. Although I'm new to game making I have started three companies over the years and did each of them whilst using a full time job for the stability and security of the income. Eight years ago I was able to quit and have been running my business from a laptop ever since.

I think you can set aside what type of an entrepreneur you will be ... game maker, etc doesn't matter what is common is that having money is key. Your job will bring you 2.5k ... save it ... burn the midnight oil on getting games made and on the store and you will soon learn if it is what you want to do, if you have enough burning within you to put the effort in and will also have some money to pay others to do some of the things you can't (or can't fast enough) when the time comes.