Best way to make a Main Menu image?

DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
My question is this;

On a main menu scene, or really any scene for that matter, Is it best to create an image that's 480x320 and have invisible actors that cover the "buttons?"

Or is it best to make 3 or 4 smaller, individual images (One image that says New Game, one image that says Options, etc.)

Comments

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Much better way is to have one menu graphic with buttons, and invisible actors on those buttons.

Why?

In this way your RAM usage for images increases for one image.

In the second way you would have a background image (but without buttons), and few buttons graphics. So your RAM usage for images increases for all of those images.

Hope that helps, doc!
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    even better have a single image then just track the touch position and if it's over where a button would be at do that function that way there's only one image to load and no extra actors for the buttons
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    Nice. Thanks guys!
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    man that really sucks that GS forces such memory management issues. My big complaint when playing GS games is the lack of visual feedback from touching buttons .. I watch my kids repeatedly click the same button on some GS games because of that.

Anyone know if particles could be used in this case and then not have the memory issue?

Would be nice if a general solution could be found so everyone has some guidance in good game design on this issue.
    Are memory issues difficult to deal with? I'm not a game developer, obviously. But, is this something that will be fixed in the next update? Or is this going to be an ongoing issue?
    @DrGlickert ...

I saw a post from GS saying that the memory issues are not one or two big issues but spread throughout and that each update should see some of those issues addressed and thus improvements but not all.

Also since each new apple product has more ram and horsepower I guess over time it will be a non-issue but as you know with your first gen iphone it is presently restricting and based on the other posts above looks like everyone is modifying their game design because of it.

I think the biggest issue is that a change of scene apparently doesn't fresh up the memory so some baggage from the previous scenes gets carried over.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    @simo103

you can put visual buttonActor feedback to respond to touch...
    if actual buttonActors.. Rule when touch is pressed...changeAttribute self.Color.Alpha To: 0.5
    same for transparent button Actor over image...change he Alpha.

for direct bg Image touch... have an out-view-area Actor (perhaps transparent rectangle image with colorful border) and when touch is pressed change its X&/orY to correct covering area.

MH
    @simo

I've only been with GS for about a month now. So I was here for 0.91 and then very soon after I started 0.92 came out.

I don't know how long you've been here, but how often do updates come out? Once a month or so? Every few weeks? I guess I'm really wondering if I'm going to have to wait until the end of summer or something for 0.93?
    @DrGilbert

I only predate you by a couple of months but I saw a post from May 2010 and at that time GS was at 0.8.6 so it looks like in the past every month and a half or so.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    since 0.8.9 it's more like every 3-6 months that one of many reasons you don't see many post from me anymore
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    I suggest adding interactive buttons and testing the game in the viewer for frame rate and testing on a device if possible. That's the only way you'll know. I really have never had an issue with not being able to use buttons, even on my old 3G iPhone. There's something nice about a tactile button that reacts with feedback. I think its a non-issue..... Good luck!
    @MikeQuinn - More than likely it's a non-issue.

However, my game has a frame rate hovering around 18-20 on my old 3G phone so I need all the optimization I can get.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Agreed Dr.
    However, is the frame rate so much an issue on the menu screen? Maybe not if it's in its own screen? I'm sure you are making sure your images are all optimized first huh. That makes a huge difference!
    Oh by the way, per our note the other day about frame rate on iPhone 4 VS iPad, using Project Resizer, I got exactly the same frame rate on both (hovering right around 60 FPS), which is what i was expecting, so good news there.