who uses a tablet?

idoistuffidoistuff Member Posts: 197
I just went out and bought a $400 Intous 4 drawing tablet.

I never have used one before so I decided I better get one before trying out game salad.

who else uses a tablet to draw?

Comments

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I do.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Several people use them here. I'll be one of those people as well in a couple of weeks. That one is a little steep, though. Must be pretty sweet.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    I was considering getting the one you just got but turns out I really didnt want or need it. I think I can deal without it for a while
    DL
  • AppsRacKAppsRacK Member Posts: 346
    Im using one but a cheaper brand :)
  • AquariusAquarius Member Posts: 282
    bamboo :)
  • m456arcusm456arcus Member Posts: 189
    Bamboo Fun here :P
  • NachozNachoz Member Posts: 52
    i use intuos 4 medium awsome tab little expensive but well worth it
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    Kanvus Artist 127 12" tablet. Is fantastic and way less expensive that a wacom equivalent.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I'm using my intuos4 small right now! It works great, and has replaced my mouse for everything but gamesalad.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    I've been using a tablet for about 20 years I think. Only I don't just use it to draw with. It replaces my mouse, which I never use! Just give it a week or two and you'll soon get used to it. I never looked back. Everywhere I animate at I use one too. I add a Jog Shuttle Pro for scrolling through frames and hot keys.
    Always confounded the IT guys when they tried to use it as a mouse, lol!
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    DreamLab said:
    I was considering getting the one you just got but turns out I really didnt want or need it. I think I can deal without it for a while
    DL

having several art programs on the iPad...

I will draw or paint on it... and email finished item to myself... to use on desktop.

you don't have a stylus but fingertip control is great...

several free drawing applications to try ... most with color which I like!
    EX: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/draw-for-ipad/id363207607?mt=8 iPad only
    or: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/draw-it-free/id364252041?mt=8 iPad/iPhone

saves the expense of buying a tablet for occasional creation.

MH
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I've also been using a wacom for about 20 years and it's not anything I feel I could do without (given I draw freehand and animate on computer). It's also great for editing in photoshop and I think very probably reduces the chances of RSI. As I've said before 'you can't sign your name with a bar of soap so why expect to be able to draw with a mouse?'. WHat people manage without a tablet is still pretty amazing though and always surprises me. It's just so much easier with a tablet. It is still crude compared with real world tools such a a brush or pencils, and feels a little like drawing with a kid's fat crayon rather than a pen or pencil, but oh so much better than a mouse. The lower end Wacoms are very good value and worth every penny. I do use a large one but know many professional illustrators who use a small one very happily.

MotherHoose's comments about using the Ipad for drawing seem really sensible, and if you have one I would try it. Sketchbook pro is very good and so, so cheap compared with many desktop apps, and there are some great animation apps on ipad. Animation desk for ipad and Animation creator are good and for vector animation DoInk vector animator is good (and all are great value for money). I have tried them, but it is down to what style of animation you wish to create. If you are after geometric style art and very controlled shapes a mouse is fine (in my opinion).
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Only tablet I use is a paracetamol after staying up too late on GS ;)

I did buy a Wacom but I never really use it, I just use Photoshop. Personally I prefer animating and drawing without one but maybe I'll use it more when I get some free time to get used to it.

Ace
  • okimokiokimoki Member Posts: 159
    Intuos 3..
    Cant really do serious raster graphics without.. :)
    You can do without it for Illustrator stuff..
  • djangojamesdjangojames Member Posts: 3
    additional iphone / ipad art apps are listed and reviewed here:

http://www.iPhoneArt.com/critiques
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    I use the medium sized Intuos 4.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Tablets? Help with ART? omg... lol
    Any suggestions from anyone I wouldn't mind being a step ahead on Graphics for once.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Join the GameSalad Community and have your game noticed for free.
    http://www.facebook.com/ListYourTopiPhoneGame
    List your Top iPhone Game on FaceBook!
  • TJMNUTTJMNUT Member Posts: 236
    Medium Intuos 4, and it's great!