50x50 image gets blurry

idoistuffidoistuff Member Posts: 197
so my actor player is 50x50 so I made a 50x50 image and attached it. but its super blurry/bad quality! and when I went into the player attributes under graphics the HORIZONTAL WRAP was to "stretch" so I changed it to "fixed" and now its really small.

so why is a 50x50 image attached to a 50x50 actor acting so weird?

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    do you have resolution ndependce checked?
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    Make sure your image is 72 dpi
  • CabacoCabaco Member Posts: 414
    quick question: What does the resolution independence do?
  • idoistuffidoistuff Member Posts: 197
    where is resolution independence?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I made a post about images in GS in this thread here:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=13501

Hopefully that should help you out.

A graphic with an odd dimension will become blurry in GS. So all of your graphics need to have even dimensions. If you are using Resolution Independence, they also need to be divisible by 4. Your graphic which is 50x50 will become 25x25 when you turn on RI - hence the blurring.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    I still don't understand what the divisibility by 4 is all about. Will it cause a blur? Why isn't it enough to just have it double the size with even dimensions?
    I made a new one with 52x52 (even and dividable by 2) but its REALLY blurry and cut off in game salad now.
    @idoistuff, if you want your actor to be sized 50x50, then your going to have to make your image double the size (100x100)
    this is going on the macs. I am designing it with the ipad landscape though.

but my target is macs.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    artonskyblue said:
    @idoistuff, if you want your actor to be sized 50x50, then your going to have to make your image double the size (100x100)

Divisible by four is due to the fact that while double Dimensional size you are actually quadrupling the pixel count so 1 pixel on iphone 3gs is the same as 4 pixels on iphone 4. on standard res you want an even number or divisible by 2 which all even numbers are. THe purpose was so you don't get split pixels in you image if your placement was perfect. but know since GameSalad has to reduce your high res image sizes you have to be divisible by 4 so that when reduced it still comes out and even number because it is completely possible to divide and even number in half and get an odd. like for instance 50 would be reduced to 25 give you an odd number and the chance at a blurry image.

hope that helps.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    tenrdrmer said:
    Divisible by four is due to the fact that while double Dimensional size you are actually quadrupling the pixel count so 1 pixel on iphone 3gs is the same as 4 pixels on iphone 4. on standard res you want an even number or divisible by 2 which all even numbers are. THe purpose was so you don't get split pixels in you image if your placement was perfect. but know since GameSalad has to reduce your high res image sizes you have to be divisible by 4 so that when reduced it still comes out and even number because it is completely possible to divide and even number in half and get an odd. like for instance 50 would be reduced to 25 give you an odd number and the chance at a blurry image.

hope that helps.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Makes a bit more sense. If that were the case though, wouldn't the divisible by 4 only affect images on older devices?
    yes, the divisible by 4 rule is only for the older devices.

If you make your nice Retina Display graphics at 70x70, it will look great on an iPhone4 or equivalent.

But when GS goes through and makes 1/2 sized images for the older devices, they will take that 70x70 graphic and make a 35x35 graphic - causing a blur on the older devices.
    firemaplegames said:
    yes, the divisible by 4 rule is only for the older devices.

If you make your nice Retina Display graphics at 70x70, it will look great on an iPhone4 or equivalent.

But when GS goes through and makes 1/2 sized images for the older devices, they will take that 70x70 graphic and make a 35x35 graphic - causing a blur on the older devices.

Ah, thanks for that, I understand now. I was hoping that it was only for older devices. I don't want to have to limit myself to graphics divisible by 4 just so it will look good on older devices. I'm keeping my focus on how my graphics look on new retina display devices. I'm happy as long as it will run fine on older devices.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    And to add to that in theory any even sized actor should be able to have double sized art added making the art divisible by 4. but to be on the safe side I normally make my actors divisible by 4 and then double the art. thats prob over kill but it makes me feel better about it all. :)

well, I would actually say that most people still have older devices...

Ideally you would make it look great for all devices, as well as make it run fine on all devices.

You would just need to make the above graphic 72x72 and it will look and work perfect everywhere.

No sense in losing sales or getting bad reviews just for neglecting a simple fix