besides maya, whats a good 3d graphics program?

DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
title says it all. thanks

DL

Comments

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    I use C4D.
  • XpandemicXpandemic Member Posts: 157
    3ds max is the most popular in the video game industry, think that's it ha :D and Zbrush for details
    Yea i used to use MAx back in the day but alas no max on the Mac. So C4D is quite similar :)

Zbrush is cool but Mudbox is better!
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Cinema 4d all the way, baby! I'm saving up to buy the nondemo version so I can use it in my games. But first illustrator. No. First Cinema. No. Illustrator. I'm not sure.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 602
    You might see if Blender meets your needs.
  • GuidoGuido Member Posts: 12
    Modo 3D and LightWave 3D ;-D
    I've tried a trial of maya, and I don't love it. It works great, but I much prefer C4d.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    And don't forget 3dcoat!
    I'm not a big fan of either Maya or 3DsMax. I actually prefer to animate on Motionbuilder. I have used older versions of Softimage at studios too but I understand XSI is pretty sweet these days too.
    I'd still be happiest if I could stay in a Mac environment though.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    3D Coat is amazing, especially if you have a high end computer with an nvidia card!
    There is also Strata 3D LE in the app store for only $50 which is a steal!
    I might have to get strata now that it's only 50 bucks!
    Asymptoteell said:
    I might have to get strata now that it's only 50 bucks!

I almost bought it last night :-)
    I can't figure out if it has the pictures-3d feature like the normal strata. Does anyone know?
  • FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    It really doesn't matter. It's you as an artist that creates the best you can with the tools you have at your disposal. I've worked with 3ds Max for about 11 years and Cinema 4D for 6-7 months. I see great benefits in both of them. They both have their drawbacks and positive sides, but none of them is perfect. And regarding Mudbox vs. Zbrush; they are both absolutely compentent and will deliver. It's all about what interface you prefer. I absolutely prefer Mudbox (seriously, Zbrush's interface is built by a monkey =)
    It's all about the person, but the UI makes a big difference, too. I'm trying to learn Blender, and, while I'm relatively fluid in cinema, blender is a WHOLE new game.
  • kietzkietz Member Posts: 49
    Bryce 7 is quick, easy and free. Its good for game backgrounds because making 3-d landscapes is real easy, then you just save a 2-d pic and import it into gamesalad.
    I've tried bryce once. It worked great.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Almost forgot Cheetah3d too. Not bad for the price - just wish they would add audio for lip synch.
  • DetheDethe Member Posts: 172
    yeah I use cheetah 3D :)
    Dethe said:
    yeah I use cheetah 3D :)

me too :)
    All my artwork so far has been rendered with C3D! It's a real time saver :)
    I had to use Lightwave when I worked on the show Stargate, it was pretty easy to use but still preferred Max, now that I'm on Mac-only I just use C4D and Mudbox.