Snap to Grid is a Must

11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I looked around and figured out that GS has no snap to grid function. Not just that, it has no grid functions whatsoever! This makes it incredibly difficult to place wall actors accurately, as well as other types of actors. Game Maker has a snap to grid function, and I'll tell you that it helps a LOT. It saves hours of work of carefully aligning walls. Take a look at this:

http://www.iliveinavillage.tk/up/4799bdff4cd95e67b8322514f2ec9a93.png

This is a game I am working on in Game Maker. See all of those wall objects? Think about all the work you'll have to do if this was a GS game! A grid with a snap to grid function is a must!

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Yes please, would love snap to grid, with a customisable grid size.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 602
    +1
  • Danneman101Danneman101 Member Posts: 59
    +1
  • StuartYStuartY Member Posts: 134
    +1.

This is basic stuff.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    +1
  • the19thbearthe19thbear Member Posts: 102
    +1111111199!!!
  • DaveyJJDaveyJJ Member Posts: 12
    Beyond +1.

This is such a basic function missing from Gamesalad that it makes the IDE significantly more unusable than it needs to be.

Sure, you can edit the numeric parameters of a 1024x768 background to get it positioned on screen, but come on, why not be able to grab and move it and have it snap to the 0,0 coordinate.

I've been complaining/pleading/begging about this one for a long while and I find it just plain stupid on so many levels that it's not in yet. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is.

Not only from a developer standpoint, but from a UX designer with 20+ years in my field. Come on, let's get this simple thing in, folks. Please.
  • joerikerkhofjoerikerkhof Member Posts: 9
    +1
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    I agree, but that game you showed would take seconds with horizontally or vertically tiles objects.

Ace
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Here you go, I created you a project file so you can see tiled objects and how that they can rest to other actors like walls or like annoy other actor would.

http://ellerker.net/files/GSTile.zip

Ace
  • JPickardJPickard Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I doubt I'll pay for Pro without this and other basic design controls.
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    I'd much prefer Smart Guides, like those of in Adobe Illustrator.
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    + 1
  • ZetroZetro Member Posts: 7
    +1
    New user is disappoint, tsk tsk
    Coming over from Gamemaker Pro, I searched and searched through the options in denial. This is such a basic feature, how is it not included...
  • RDRD Member Posts: 88
    +1
    Yes please GameSalad! Making cool levels will be much easier with a customizable grid and smart guides!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    +1

I'm almost certain that snap-to-grid feature was on the GS Roadmap; my guess is it'll be there by the time 1.0 is here.

----------------------------------------------
    http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• davidjri1davidjri1 Member Posts: 1
    This is why I don't bother with game salad anymore. I won't be making anything until they add grid functions
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    This is why I don't bother with game salad anymore. I won't be making anything until they add grid functions
    Cool story, bro.

But you're right -- this is a basic feature that should be implemented.
  • bazookaBenbazookaBen Member Posts: 318
    as an option, yep.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Because double clicking an actor & manually setting the X,Y is gamebreaking....

I get what you're saying & while it may be tedious, it's in no way a deal breaker to not have snap to grid.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    edited May 2012

I get what you're saying & while it may be tedious, it's in no way a deal breaker to not have snap to grid.
    Imagine 15-20 actors x 60 scenes... tedious doesn't even begin to describe it.
    But you're right, it's not something that would prevent me from using GS... but it's something that they really should implement.

• JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    +1
  • JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    Just checked the roadmap on this, and yeas it will be coming, but I believe that it hasn't been implemented to date because it requires the new Mac UI which will be coming (soon?!)
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited December 2012
    YES! A LARGE amount of GameSalad games are level-based, and snap-to-grid would make it WAY easier/less time consuming/more content with the extra time/more creative levels with the extra time/neater looking/ I could go on and on... :D

I hope we get it as soon as possible; its been a while since we got an update.

This discussion has been closed.