Anyone wanna swap an old Macbook in exchange for 50% revenue share?

AddictiveGamesAddictiveGames Member Posts: 105
Hi guys, I've been reading about GS and these forums for weeks and i'm really excited about getting started on the game ideas I have in my head :) I've even been designing my games on paper (even down to level maps) with pen & crayons but now wanna start making the games.

But I only have a desktop PC and know I need a MAC. Ideally I would like a macbook (any type) because I know I will get way more done if I can sit in different rooms in my house (sofa, bed etc).

Does anyone have an old Macbook (Intel min spec for GS) that they no longer use that you would be willing trade me? I don't have much money at the moment so what I was thinking is that if someone could trade me their old macbook in exchange for 50/50 revenue on my first game title?

This would be a 50% share of profit on my first title only. So you would get 50% of all profits from the game for the entire time its on the app store. I would send you monthly sales screenshots etc and pay via paypal. I have Computing qualifications and the graphics I can create are very good. I'm also about to get a new drawing tablet for my birthday.

I know this is an unusual request, but it will hopefully be super rewarding and help me launch my first game as well as make you some cash. So if anyone can help me out please reply or email leespecs@gmail.com

thanks
Lee

Comments

• LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Member Posts: 343
    Think I'll pass on this one. I don't think it would be super rewarding :( Forget about getting the drawing tablet for your birthday and put the money towards getting a mac mini which you can add into your current PC set up.
  • AddictiveGamesAddictiveGames Member Posts: 105
    Thanks LuckyLurcher, sorry your not interested. I was considering a Mac mini, but know I would be able to do way more work on my game if I had more flexibility around my current job with portability. :(

I disagree with you though on the drawing tablet. Trying to draw with a mouse is really tricky and I don't want my game to look poop. I think the most successful iPhone/iPad games look good. Actually they look great. I would never buy a game with poor graphics. They can be simple, but if the artwork and Icon button is poor I would never buy even at 99c.

I do believe this could be a super rewarding partnership. My first title will be excellent, of course I can't guarantee success but I would even be willing to continue to update the game and promote it until an acceptable profit has been reached (eg cost of the macbook).

I have lots of marketing experience which is vital and I also can think of new and unique ways to get noticed (out of the box thinking like i'm doing here) ;-) But thanks for your reply anyways LuckyLurcher.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    +1

Ace
    GsLover - haha sorry I didn't mean to come across like having big head (although I do have one in terms of actual size lol) :-p

I should have said I do have coding experience, (pascal, vb, php, & html) so I understand the logic but I admit no prev. experience with GS. Having said that I have watched all the excellent cookbook videos and the basics look easy enough to master.

As you can see I am ambitious, very ambitious. You need to be in order to have a successful game and to market it well. I also love the different game ideas/art I have developed and written, although of course would be doing the simplest one first so that I can learn the GS interface better. I have already asked my friends/colleagues but nobody can lend me a mac so hence why I created this post.

My offer is still open to anyone who is interested, if so please email me? First genuine offer gets deal. Thanks
    Don't worry GsLover, not under any illusion that making good games with GS is easy (despite what the software homepage says) lol B-)

My point is i'm: intelligent, hard working, computing qualification, coding experience, affiliate web marketing experience and work in IT in my day job. I'm ambitious, but not stupid enough to say I'll have a game made in 1 week or anything. I just don't got a Mac. If i don't get an offer on here I will simply save for a used one off ebay etc.

Regarding the risk to my offer, I believe this is minumum. An old macbook (value say $500/£300) in exchange for 50% of revenue. So lets say my game needs to make $1000 in its lifetime. Anything beyond that is pure profit for the lifetime of the game. Please don't take offence but if I can't make and market a good game that generates more than a $1k then I would be a big failure. I know there are some great games that GS members have created that have bombed, I can't give my opinion on them cos you will probably say I have a big head lol but I do believe Marketing and promoting iPhone games equates to 70% of the games success.

Let me please rephrashe my post lol:

New Game designer/creater/marketer requires *tool* to make game in exchange for revenue share @ 50%. Any interested parties please email leespecs@gmail.com

Lee
    There is no way anyone will ever take you up on this 'offer'.

Have you taken into account the $99 iOS Developer Program fee & the 30% Apple takes from sales? You would have to make significant sales before the Macbook donor would get his $500 back
    Yes thanks I know I've already got Apple program fee in my bank (and I already own an iphone to test) What I am talking about is profit share. To make a $1000 profit the game would need to sell (99c) about 1300 downloads OVER ITS LIFETIME. Not too difficult for a good well marketed game.

I know I'm new on here LuckyLurcher but please can you stop putting me down. I respect your comment and that your not interested but is there any need to attack my post? :( i'm just a new game developer looking for a break. I'm only asking if anyone has an "old ununused macbook" that may be interested in helping me out and making a few dollar and share in my success in the process :-)
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    hackintosh
  • iMuseiMuse Member Posts: 80
    You have no experience with GS so this leaves you with art and marketing skills to offer any interested party. How good you can market a game with no previous success stories is a hard sell. This leaves your skill as an artist, provide samples (no need for a mac to make art).

If you show samples of your art and it's as amazing as you claim, there would atleast be a chance that someone would trade you the macbook for art (for more than one game obviously) or people will just hire you and you can pay for the macbook in no time! In short, don't expect any interest if you can't show what you have to offer.

goodluck
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Moved to jobs subforum as that's the closest match I could find

AG, people are very hesitant to enter these types of agreements without any demonstration of what you can do. I don't think many people will be willing to risk a 350 investment without seeing some demonstration on what you can do.

People on here are always looking for artists, so you may be able to quickly earn enough money to buy a used MacBook that way.

Either way, people unless you are interested, keep comments to yourself.
  • mattyr64mattyr64 Member Posts: 82
    regardless of your ability, you are still a person on the other side of the internets. can't see anyone 'trusting' you, even if you are trustworthy, if you know what i mean.

edit: sry didn't see the above post.
    Thanks for all your replies. I didnt think I could use GS with Hackintosh? The art idea is a good one, though it would take me away from my games time. I"m gonna leave my offer open for a few days before I start creating packs. If anyone is interested in my original post then please email: leespecs@gmail.com
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Sorry man but do you know how few games even come close to make $1000. I almost talked my dad into loaning me money on the terms my app store sales would pay him back. HAHA i'm glad I didn't because I would be in debt for a long time.
    There is no in there right mind that is going to take you up on this offer.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Theres is no guarantees with the AppStore. Our first game took 3 months to finish, an resulted with the awesome income of 15$ (7$ each). So people who know how hard this business is, will laugh at an proposition like this. Get an loan form family or friends, an buy on used on eBay.

15$ for this:
  • the19thbearthe19thbear Member Posts: 102
    Find an old pc and build a hackingtosh! Its not hard at All and will only cost the price of a snow leopard DVD.
    Search for tonyosx86 on google:)