Should I Jump? - pack in the day job, get a business loan, make games?

2»

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Wow this has been a popular discussion.

Thanks for all the input..

Freelancing is definitely an option to help lessen the blow if I make the jump.
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130
    DreamLab said:
    You only hear about the successful people is why. Do you ever hear about the man who quit his day job and failed at life? no. You hear about the man who quit his day job and turned out to be a huge success.

You should probably think this out. I can't imagine what I would say to my dad if he were to quit his day job for a hobby that might be successful. Just don't risk it until you have something to back it up with. The economy sucks right now, so it will be hard to get that job back if you need it.

If you don't treat it like a hobby it won't be. Lots of people quit, get scared, and spend half their time looking for a new job when stuff gets tough. The key is not treating it like a hobby and making it happen. If you quit and treat it like a hobby you will be in the same boat. The other thing is if your circle of friends know that it is your only means of income, they will start recommending your products, because they will want to help.

I'm just saying more often than not you will be just sitting waiting for the best scenario to come along. That never comes. There is no best scenario. Either take the risk or not. The people that fail don't fully take the risk...they are full of doubt and then when that doubt comes to fruition they run back to "safety".

Anyone can go into their jobs tomorrow and get fired/laid off. The security of a job is an illusion anyway.

But if you don't feel you can take the plunge, change your thinking in this way: Look at your current job as your "investor".
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Excellent points, dingosmoov. It's like the old saying "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got, and you'll always feel what you always felt." You have to be the change you want to see out of life. In my experience, if you sit back and wait for the right moment, you will be sitting back waiting for a long time, and that time never comes.

There's a million reasons NOT to do something.
  • hugo32hugo32 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing this post with us. The post is really interesting. Keep posting the good work in future too.
    Business Loan
  • hugo32hugo32 Member Posts: 2
    The blog is truly fantastic! Lots of great inspiration, which we all need!b Keep 'em coming... you've done such a great job very appreciating... can't tell you how much I'm pleased from your work.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    My advice,
    Is no; Game developing is a risky sport`!!:), keep it as a hobby first, at this time in recession keep your job!! :)
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    Go with the safe route, especially if you have a family.. Just my two cents.

-VentoraStudio

P.S I message you, reply when you get a second.