Generating sound in-GameSalad

FangFang Member Posts: 33
Heya folks

I have this idea of a little game revolving around musical tunes, and I was wondering, is there any way to have GameSalad generate a short tone related to the position of an actor on the screen?
As in, when my ball bounces onto a pad, I want the game to take the position of the ball, use it to create a sound (x,y ; distortion,pitch level (or something similar)), and play said sound.
Is that even possible?

Thanks,
~ Fang

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    GameSalad is not capable of creating sounds, only play them. You can have the ball hit a trigger to play a sound, or Im sure you can play a certain sound when it is at certain coordinates as well.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    you can make it with garageband too

GS CHAT ROOM HERE:http://gsgame.epiggames.com/chat
  • FangFang Member Posts: 33
    Well, that's the problem, creating sounds for 480x320 = 153600 coordinates is a shitload of work. Even if I were to automate the sound creation process, I'd still have to enter every rule for every sound played seperatly, right?
    Also, is there an easy way of entering a bit of your own javascripts into GameSalad or something? Might be a solution...
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Unfortunately, there is no way to add any of your own code at the present time. And yes you are correct, you would have to have a rule for every sound, and as many as there will be, I seriously doubt it could even handle it.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    You could (by my guesswork, since I've never played around with this) create only a few sounds and use the pitch shifter built in to GS to change the pitch of the sound if that would help?

Ace
    There's... a pitch shifter built in? I've got to look into that then, thanks.
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    Fang said:
    There's... a pitch shifter built in? I've got to look into that then, thanks.

Yes, that will save you a LOT of work. ;-)

There aren't any other audio "filters" unfortunately, but this is a "game making program", not a "synth making program"! I wish!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    You should be able to use the expression editor on the pitch value and create some sort of equation involving a game attribute that is being set using magnitude. Just throwing out ideas here. but the user XyloFun is really good with GameSalad and sounds so he may be able to help you in the right direction for what you want. I would expect him to chime in on this if he see's it.
    I've messed around with it for a bit, and pitch control is indeed a pretty decent solution. I just need to find myself a good enough calculation for it, and I'm almost good to go.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Fang said:
    I've messed around with it for a bit, and pitch control is indeed a pretty decent solution. I just need to find myself a good enough calculation for it, and I'm almost good to go.

Hello Fang,

the way "pitch" works in GS is so:
    Original pitch is set at value "1"

To lower the pitch by a semi tone (half tone) change to: 0.95
    To lower by a full tone step, change to: 0.9
    To lower by one and a half tones, change to: 0.85

The same goes for raising the pitch as then, you use 1.05 for a semi tone up and 1.1 for a full step up (as in C > D) and so on ....

Now here is the tricky part. Unfortunately, depending on the sound (some sounds are easier to pitch shift than others) you will need to tweak those settings.
    This means that up to three digits (after the comma) are needed to get the precise sound you want. Example: 0.945 (instead of 0.95)

I simply play the sounds in the simulator and use a tuner on my iphone or ipad to get the right value. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it :)
    Thanks xyloFUN, I'll be able to get most of the things done using that information. I got an iPod Touch, so can you give me the name of the app you're using?
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Any chromatic guitar tuner from the app store should be fine, the Gibson one is free and is accurate.

Ace
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Fang said:
    Thanks xyloFUN, I'll be able to get most of the things done using that information. I got an iPod Touch, so can you give me the name of the app you're using?

Hey Fang,
    I use the "n-Track Tuner" which for my needs, works best! :)
    But as Ace says, any tuner will do just fine.
    I'll look into that, then. Thanks again for all the help, you guys!