Serious crash issue

MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
edited November -1 in Tech Support
It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes when working with GS everything became unresponsive. And for everything I mean even the OS.
Usually when other apps crash I force quit and restart them, but with GS the only thing that work is pressing the startup button on my Mac until it cause a forced shutdown.

I'm working on a 24 iMac with Intel

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    that's happened to me a few times, I find it best to quit and restart the application every 15 or 20 minutes or so, helps a bunch.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    That's what I do to avoid GS to slow down, but the crashing happens even when GS has just launched.
    try deleteing the application and the preference file under username\library\preferences and redownload it.

I had some similar problems, where it would crash occasionally. after redownloading it i stopped having problems.
  • austinleeaustinlee Member Posts: 19
    I'm having the same issue. I'm going to try mulcahy's advice.
  • KennethBKennethB Member Posts: 2
    Mine crashes EVERY time I press PLAY. Even if the software has only been running for 10 sec.

Theres nothing "gamesalad" in my "username\library\preferences"?

Im on a SL intel iMac. Using version 0.7.0, but it also crashed in earlier versions. Bummer...
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    Sometimes I get a crash when I press play. I've found that I have logic being used in the scene by an actor with an attribute that no longer exist. Fix or remove the attribute and it will work.
    yea, I've had that constant crashing when my game is bad. can you load up a template game and hit play? Does it work or crash? If it works, you've got some bad logic somewhere.

as JamesBoucher said, it's probably a rule referencing an attribute that was removed or a rule that was copied from another actor that uses a custom actor attribute.

I think it would be a nice addition for it to do a quick compile check before it previews and list any bad rules.
  • incitenetincitenet Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting a lot of crashing too but it's usually due to bad logic. Sometimes mine won't crash but will just not allow me to click the scene in preview..

It would be great if there was a way to debug it. Like a prompt that says "bad logic in "x" attribute" or something.
  • KennethBKennethB Member Posts: 2
    Well im just started using gamesalad, and the only thing ive done is to make a actor for my bakgground and placed it in the scene.. nothing else.. is that bad logic??

Agree with incitenet: It would be great with some sort of errordetection.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Usually if Gamesalad crashes immediately upon opening, several times, there is bad logic in there, so try creating a new scene and see if plugging in the attributes new works.

I noticed too, that Gamesalad will crash every time before I open it, and if it's sitting idle for a period of time. I always save when I'm idle or not doing anything just to be safe.

What's really annoying though is after using it for some time, it really lags, and when you're trying to add something to an actor, the wheel spins and sometimes takes up to 20 seconds to get into the actor's attributes and rules.

What usually corrects this for me like the guys said above is logging out, and logging back in.

Anyhow, hope you find some resolution to your problem and let us know if you get it resolved
  • incitenetincitenet Member Posts: 4
    The lagging issue from having the program open for a very long time seems to be because of the back/forward buttons. Is GameSalad saving all this data to memory and not getting rid of it until it is closed? It should probably drop the history after 5 actions or so.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    I wish there was a different view mode besides back / forward. I'd much rather just have drop downs for all my Actors and Scenes and let me jump directly to what I want to work on instead of the silly Forward / Back buttons.

Forward / Back works for linear branching content. Not random access content, like we have here.