Another type of weekly challenge

JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I was thinking the other day about GS possibly implementing a challenge similar to what you have just implemented, except mine would be kinda like a How To type challenge. It kills 2 birds with one stone.

1. It's a challenge & therefore a fun way to share knowledge.
2. It will kinda be a guide on how to do certain things.

For instance the challenge would be like....

In a Tower Defense game, each turret has an attack range, if an enemy comes within that range the current would attack. How would you implement this in Game Salad?

Another example..

(This one has been answered, but using it as an example.)

How would you implement a Pause System into your GS game.

I love how you are inspiring people to create simple, fun games with the weekly challenge, but this would give a challenge to people, who don't necessarily have time to devote to making a new game every week, but also share their knowledge & help the community as a whole.

The winner each week would be the one to answer the problem the best, & most efficiently. Maybe under our names we can show how many "challenges" we have won, that way you do get something for winning that challenge.

Anyways, maybe something like this can be implemented. It makes a fun way of sharing knowledge, but also comes up with the best way to implement certain features in our games. Maybe we can have a forum created for just challenges, so that we could always reference back to it, & the winner would have their solution posted to the wiki. This would answer a lot of questions before they ever come up from new people. We could even have users send in a question they want to be in the Challenge of the week. Anyways hopefully everyone likes the idea. Thanks.

-JGary

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Bump. No comments, good or bad??
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Just pondering other methods. After this first bug topic challenge, we'll change it around.

Perhaps 2 technical challenges in 2 weeks followed by a game challenge for 2 weeks. Since we now have polls enabled in the forums, we can just do vote for the best with that.

Remember, the wiki is mostly open for everyone to add to it, so feel free to post your solutions there at any time.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Actually JGary, you put it so eloquently I didn't need to comment! ;)

I also thought that making a game from scratch in a week, while potentially fun, would be too distracting with regard my other projects and I actually prefer your idea!

I'm part of an interactive fiction community, and sometimes they organise an 'introduction' contest. Essentially, it's not a full game but just the intro screens to a potential new game.

This might inspire some people to up the presentation on their own titles, or might encourage some to finish a game based on working on their introduction.

Having said all that, I have a cute little idea for a dead dead simple game and have some bug graphics I got free off the 'net. If I have time, I might make one ;)

I don't know. Whaddya think?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

CodeMonkey - Thanks for the response, the only reason I brought up the new idea was b/c I know I don't have time to work full-time, work on my own projects, then do a weekly or even monthly project & balance a personal life with my wife & kid =). I figured if we did something simple like this, you're building your community, but also helping the community.

Wiki - While it it open for anyone for post information, we don't always think of things. With the contest it gives a specific problem to solve, & the winner is the one who solves it best, that way the wiki has the best information available.

QS - Maybe even post a starting 'storyline' for a potential game. That might be an interesting idea, & sounds similar to what you do on your other forum.

I just know there are alot of good ways to get the creative juices flowing, I definitely think GS is on the right track. I just figured we could all pitch in ideas to make it better. Thanks for listening (or reading I guess)

-JGary
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    Hey JCary. I really like your idea and we'll go ahead and give it a try after this current challenge finishes. I'd love to do one like QS suggested, best intro cinematic. I'm a huge fan of old-school intros like Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Maybe that will be our first one ;p
    Ya, I like the intro idea. Bet you can make some pretty sweet looking ones. This would definitely be something I'd be interested in =)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Well damn you all to hell!!! A few hours ago I started a bugs game (called Bugz - don't hurt me!) and now I'm half way done.

I'm hoping to finish it (yay!) well within the time limit so I can get on with my *own* stuff! ;)

So, one entry confirmed from me!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io