What is your occupation, or day job? What are your interests?

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Introductions
I thought I'd post a survey to see what people do as their "day job" if creating their masterpiece game is their 2nd job

If this is your primary focus, you can post too, just wanted to see if there are any peeps in the forum that perhaps, like me, do something completely different than designing games :)

I myself am a Registered Nurse, work 4 days per week (because 5 would make me legally insane)

I get up at the crack-ass of dawn and start my day working at 6am, I go to the gym after work everyday..... and try to pull in 1 weekend workout.....

In my downtime, which has become very little since discovering GS, I work on my games, as well as play the latest and greatest. Some of my faves are: Little Big Planet, Braid for Xbox 360 (Brilliant game if you haven't played it), and whatever the Nintendo DS and PSP have to offer
I also LOVE the classics and am a huge retro gamer: Love the Sega Saturn, thank you Japan for giving it the support it deserved! Some great SHMUPS on their, as well as SNES greats like Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, and other classics.

My top 10 all time favorite games, in no particular order are:

Little Big Planet (PS3)
Yoshi's Island (SNES)
Paper Mario (N64)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Castle of Illusion: Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
Castlevania: SOTN (PSX) - one of the greatest games ever made
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Braid: (Xbox 360, online marketplace)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Secret of Mana (SNES)

oh and #11 just had to go in here b/c it's a fabulous piece of work: Odin Sphere (PS2)

I'm a huge fan of caffeine.. (it's what gets me through the day), PIXAR, and Toucans....

What are your interests?

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Well where to start. I work in Sales...wheeee... I hate my job, yet i make decent money doing it, so can't quit until something better comes along (I'm looking at you Game Salad)

I too LOVE caffeine & anything energy-enhancing related. I go to sleep at the butt crack of dawn, (typically 4am-5am) wake up at noon, goto work @ 1pm, get off at 9pm, play with my son/wife for 2 hours until 11pm, then the gaming begins.

My game plan is to make Game Salad into a full time gig. I do plan on being successful & believe I have every tool to make that happen.

I love video games, especially RTS, RPG, & open-world Super-Human games. (like Crackdown or this new Protoype game)

-JGary
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm a time traveling sheep. I try to put right what once went wrong.

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

He's been sent back through time to change the future for one lucky sheep!
  • KamazarKamazar Member Posts: 287
    Full-time high school student. I've got the entire summer ahead of me, no responsibilities, no job, and all the resources I need. So, yeah, I should be able to get 2-3 really good games done before school starts again. Hopefully, I too, like the rest of you, will be successful. I'll put most of it in a college savings fund, of course, but there's gotta be a stash on the side saved for Project Natal when it comes around.

Nah, lies, I'm a time traveling chicken ;)
  • danreldanrel Member Posts: 28
    Well, I'm a QA(quality assurance) Engineer for a web portal company. I dig the job to an extent but I'm tired of being a mushroom(kept in the dark and fed sh*t every [look-up the word 'always'] once in a while). Also, by the nature of the job we're(QA Engineers) the martyrs of the company when the crap really hits the fan.

My main passions are my family, mobile gaming, animation and design in no particular order. I'm a geek by nature and have been into computer hardware amongst other geeky ventures for quite some time now.

Just like JGary321 I'd much rather make a living creating games... Again, GameSalad - 'I'm looking at you Game Salad' to quote JGary321.

I enjoy most games as long as the gameplay is exciting. I'm not a hardcore-super-realistic-graphics-or-I-won't-touch-the-game gamer. I just enjoy great gameplay, although I'd love to fuse the two extremes with all of my games but we'll see.

Lastly I enjoy a good beer and dig the occasional...yeah...

- danrel

P.S. - I'm an intergalactic moose hellbent on overthrowing the evil porcupine regime of the greater Northwest(damn overgrown rodents!) ;)
    Kamazar - I know a beautiful, white haired chicken I think you need to meet.

Danrel - I'll keep my eye open for any space faring meese i see!

P.S. I know it's really moose, but meese sounds better =p

-JGary
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    i am about to graduate high school, and im a rapper and producer. gamesalad is so cool!
  • KhestralKhestral Member Posts: 8
    I'M a QA DIRECTOR WITH 13+ YEARS IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY :D <--- I hate capslock and I am too lazy to retype that :D

Love any game but am partial to MMO's
  • mainsourcemainsource Member Posts: 19
    Until 3 weeks ago I was in the auto industry. Now I'm an unemployed casualty of the economic downturn. Hopefully the release of GameSalad will empower me to change my situation...

Fav games are:
    Ico
    Rez
    Flight Control
    Ms. Pac-Man
  • rbarbour02rbarbour02 Member Posts: 4
    I am sadly a student doing a master in Computer Science in the wetlands of Ireland. I am also a Coffee Master and Barista for the multinational corporation that is Starbucks, which I love. Coffee *drool*...
    I mainly focus on software engineering and have an interest to go into web design, but it could be swayed to game design when I make millions of my games through GameSalad?

P.S check out my first game, I am going to build more levels maybe, and have the levels longer with increasing hardness over time, and add an overall more professional feel... with health bar and score display a bit more purty :D
    http://gamesalad.com/game/play/5784
  • Vanny_ArtsVanny_Arts Member Posts: 16
    Well what can I say,,,,,since I have been lay-off I have been trying to master GS LOL but no luck at all. But I have been playing with all kind of engines.
    Lately I have been learning how to pixelate for my future games,,,,so... yes. I spend a lot of time on my computer day and night I got to before I start a new job.

Oyea,,,, working in pixelation animation,,, it's very hard but... I need to master all this for my games.

LOL and of-course I like games too here my list of favorites and what I own.

PC Genjin (B.C Kid a.k.a Bonk)= gamecube
    Super Adventure Island = gamecube
    Dracula X = Super CD rom2 TG16
    Shadow of the Beast= CD rom 2 TG16
    Skyblazer=snes
    All Castlevania= nds
    Splatter House= PC engine
    Metal Slug 6= ps2

Games are big deal in my life,,,, but I like to go out and have fun too,,, I might become a troll or a vampire in my basement =D