work around for sound volume glitching/clicking

old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
I have been having problems with sounds/music clicking when played and using volume of the sample to cut them off rather than game volume/sound as I wanted to have a number of tracks and sounds that I could control individually. I discovered that the volume adjustment runs to at least 3 decimal places. By having the volume set to 0.001 rather than zero for silencing the sound this sorts it out and the sound cannot be heard on any device I have been testing on or on the mac.

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find a reference on my searches.

Cheers Kipper

Kipper

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Thanks for the info kipper

I haven't experienced the clicking issue before but will keep this in mind if I do

Thanks

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Project Help from Tenrdrmer Click Here

GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    Expanding Option Menu Template HERE!!
    Tenrdrmer's Menu # 3 HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    AppSolute Entertainment on iTunes
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Yeah, a file
    Clips if it's shut off too quickly, not just in GS but with a lot of things, it's the software and amp responding to the sudden stop of all sound

Ace
  • mangaroomangaroo Member Posts: 419
    Good to know, thanks guys
    Your brain does it too. When you go to a club and it's really loud, once you come home, you're brain has gotten used to this certain threshold, if your house is significantly quieter (which is likely), you're brain sends a signal to make sure you're not deaf and everything is working correctly (usually a G# or C#) and that's when your ears ring.

Ace
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I've just been mucking about for the last 2 days and built a sound toy in GS. Amazingly the whole thing runs on a single sample of a 'A' 440hz waveform sample looped. Possibly the shortest ever sample used in GS? Now there are no clicks and it's working fine, even modulating a tremolo when desired. Now I am playing low regard for memory usage by putting sawtooth and square wave samples. Might even push it to 16,000 bytes with some white noise.... Wonder if there is a power of 2 rule for sound memory and if I am wasting half a kilobyte somewhere?

cheers lads

Ace- What was that? Still not right since a Ramones gig in 83

p.s I wish GS had a tone filter with control. Then you could build a synth
    Tell me about it, I have toured and toured and do session guitar work now alongside my band, I have a got damn C# constantly ringing!!! I have to listen to something whilst I try to get to sleep or it drives me wild! Earplugs FTW! Haha

I'm pretty sure that the powers of 2 rule doesn't include sound, just image pixels, it's not the size of the image, just pixel width and height so 'should' be okay with any sized audio.

Ace
    Thought on synths... you could run parallel harmonics as separate samples and adjust the amplitude instead of a filter so thing would be possible. Not pretty, but possible.
    Yeah, that's true but not going to be the sexiest sound in the world haha. Another thought, you could pitch shift them off at slightly different points to get a tremelo sound by the waves not matching?

Ace
    Ace

I am doing trem in my little sound app, but you are right and if you did that you would get beat frequencies that richen stuff up. If you would like to have look at my weird app pm me your email I send you the file.
    The reason why it'll get a tremolo is because the wave forms differ slightly and don't line up:

they should look like this if they are in tune:

NOTE 1: ../\/\/\/\..
    NOTE 2: ../\/\/\/\..

If they are slightly out, you get this:

NOTE 1: ../\/\/\/\....
    NOTE 2: ..../\/\/\/\..

The note cancels itself in and out so you get a wobble.

My email is info@instantmashgames.com

I'm away until tomorrow recording but I will definitely take a look at it tomorrow.

Ace
    email sent. Yup. It's a mix of phase inversion that cancels the volume and beat frequency that richens it up.

kipper
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Got any youtube vids of you or your band jammin, Ace?
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Here's a demo we made to get used to the songs before recording them, we're recording the real versions next week.

http://ellerker.net/files/Demo.zip

Ace
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    yes, very clever. I had thought to do something like this for more expressive sound effects.

hello
    I have an interest in sound apps myself. See my "Radarhead" on YouTube
    (and the recent, soundless CyberGoth)

It's too good to use it for just "games", right? ;-) There are all kinds of possibilities here...

Unity 3d does have filters, I think, but that's a different, more complex animal
    old_kipper said:
    Thought on synths... you could run parallel harmonics as separate samples and adjust the amplitude instead of a filter so thing would be possible. Not pretty, but possible.

• QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Mike- love the fly in the matchbox.

Franz, I looked at your Radarhead. Cool app! For me Unity is a outside of my comfort zone currently. I do think that a few more sound functions in GS would open it up to being a tool for a wider group of users, but they have wishes from so many quarters that I doubt that it is high on their list of priorities. If midi was in there with functions to sync to other apps on the device or wifi... Well we can dream, but in the meanwhile I shall content myself with doing the possible with what is available (and I can beat into submission with my feeble mind).

I built a matrix sequencer-16X16 cells detecting collisions of passing actors that are traveling at a fixed tempo/speed to fire sounds) in GS that ran fine on the mac but falls over on devices once you run above about a quarter of the cells filled (ipad 1). I have now redesigned it so it is not using collisions for firing the sounds and it working pretty well. Took some thought and work to get going though. Just wish the arrays were here and now.

kipper