Question about memory usage

JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
edited November -1 in Tech Support
This one will probably have to be answered by a Dev.

I had a question about memory usage. How memory intensive is loading/saving data? Has anyone tried loading/saving a good 30 or so attributes yet? Any slow down?

Also does using game.attributes take more memory, or make the game longer to load? I ask b/c in my mind it would take more memory, b/c they are always up regardless of which scene is active. I always try to do things without game.attributes if possible.

I am designing the level-up system now & I will need a good 30 game.attributes to make it work how I want it too. So that's why I was curious about the memory consumption. I CAN do it without so many game.attributes, but it will be a REAL pain, & if there is not going to be much benefit I would just rather use them.

Thanks

Comments

• WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    I can answer the second and third question. Load/save didn't make a slow down in my games I even tested on the iphone a ton of times.

Cheers, Weswog :)
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hey Weswog, thanks for the feedback. What's the max number of attributes you tried saving/loading at the same time.
  • micahmicah Member Posts: 85
    I don't know for sure, but I doubt using lots of game attributes will slow down the game at all. Each attribute is a small primitive variable, and they don't take up much memory. A boolean is a byte, an integer and a real probably takes up 4 or 8 bytes. Once you add up 1024 of those you get a single kilobyte. So in other words, you would probably need thousands of attributes to use as much space as a single small sprite.

I don't know know about the efficiency of saving and loading though.
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    @JGary

Sorry I missed where you said a good 30 attributes in the post on top I did where it saves your score then it tells only your highest score and I only used 2-3. I would imagine though it wouldn't make a slow down. My youtube video of my game with the save/load is here

Cheers, Weswog