license question regarding depositphotos.com

dashnevadadashnevada Member Posts: 58
Hey guys

I was wondering if making apps to sell them in the appstore falls under any of these categories:

1. prints, posters and other reproductions for personal use, advertising and promotional applications, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogues, brochures, promotional greeting cards and promotional postcards (providing they are not for resale, license or other distribution);

2. print media applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical displays;

3. on–line or electronic publications, including web pages (but only when the pixel density for such Image is limited to 1024 x 768); and

4. any other uses approved in writing by DepositPhotos.

Have any of you guys used depositphotos.com before? Is the standard license okey for the app store or do I have to purchase the extended licence. Which I cant afford :(.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    Looks like these are all about images, what is this for? You might have to contact them.
  • dashnevadadashnevada Member Posts: 58
    yea I bought a couple of vector images for my app from this website under the standard license agreement. I was wondering if I wont get into any trouble by using them, I think making an app might fall in the #1 category listed above. Just wanted to make sure
  • SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    Ohh those are restrictions. haha

Yeah, you are probably going to have to get the extended license :(

Game making service- http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=21739
    Sketch to vector service- http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=21820
    damn.. i'll give them a call tomorrow just to make sure..

Thanks thou..

has anyone else use this site before?

thanks in advance
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I'm sure it will fall into cat 3.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    Ill say this again. YOU NEEEEED to read the fine lines in the different licenses each site sells. YES "different" licenses. If you buy the image for the price on the website. You are more thank likely buying the cheapest license. AND 99.9% of the time that license DOES NOT.... DOES NOT.... YES YOU CAN GET IN TROUBLE.......cover your project in creating a online game for online or devices.
    dont yell at me jeff, im sad :(

lol, I actually called the site and indeed you need EL3 which goes for about 60-80 dollars per images.. I'll rather hire an artist.

just in case anybody has this question in the future, do you need extended license if you plan to buy images from depositphotos.com
    Bumping this so that more newbies and some hard headed pros will listen and learn here so they dont have to learn the hard way.
  • justpro5justpro5 Member Posts: 49
    Hi mates
    I'm working on my new project. I'm going to use some graphics from depositphotos.com . Now please explain to me if I take EL3 from them how they will know that this graphics is from them and I paid and not pirated?
    and please who will ask me about the graphics the site or apple store?
  • steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    no one will ask you about the graphics when you publish the game. But if the original owner of the graphics you used finds your game and decides to file a complain or a lawsuit. Apples is going to ask you where did you get the images and if you don't got the receipt for an EL3 license of each image you used then you could be in trouble.
    Im just saying that id you dont get the proper license. Then you are open for fire.