Can't enter MacWorld Challenge 2010! :-(

JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
edited November -1 in Introductions
I was looking to enter my upcoming game for the MacWorld 2010 Challenge, but have just noticed in the rules its for US residents only?

I'm in the UK, whats the reason behind me not being able to enter this comp if I use GameSalad?

Comments

• TboneTbone Member Posts: 49
    And don't forget about us GameSalad users in Australia!
  • urhungryurhungry Member Posts: 112
    i think that its because the event is in the us
  • ZillaZilla Member Posts: 157
    US residents only...

Oh, no... I must have overlooked that... so there won't be any games from the Swiss Alps...

I wasn't interested in the Platinum Pass, but I would have liked the Pro Membership :(((
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Same here, it seems odd that we cannot enter just because we are not in the U.S. I too would really be interested in the pro version, plus if they really need a face their we could video conference, I have my speech already "sorry I could not be there in person to accept this award..." :-)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    It really doesn't make any sense. If you want to fly half way around the world to get there then why not? If you have no desire to go then you don't half to enter. Seems like that should be left up to us.
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Come on gamesalad will you let us non-u.s. developers enter?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Then again, freedom isn't free ...

...whatever that means ;-P

(They are located in Texas - not crawford I hope!)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I think the problem probably lies with the MacWorld cosponser, since they are offering up the main prize, they probably decided on the rules.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Yea I agree, if you're coming to Macworld 2010, it's only fair that Non-U.S residents are able to apply!
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    i think its unfair! :-(

its cheap to fly the winner out if not based in the US. I was going to enter my new game also.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    I didn't know a lot of people weren't in the US. this forum is very diverse :)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I think it's limiting to the contest too, more contestants, more great games that could be entered and provides more competition!
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    I like the rule, less competition :D

And I live in Texas as well, but I can't imagine just picking up and flying to California for MacWorld.
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067
    Unfortunately learning and following contest law for all the countries of the world is too much effort for a startup like ourselves. It's a task that even large companies like Macworld Expo (their t-shirt design contest is open to US residents only) avoid.

While we can fudge a little in giving away a t-shirt once in a while, our affiliation with Macworld for this contest requires that we be much more careful.

I agree that it's unfair, but these rules are necessary for us to hold this contest at all.

While this contest is closed to people outside the US, the Global Game Jam is not. I encourage you to bring GameSalad to your local branch (23 countries are participating) on January 30. Its a great way to gain recognition for your game creation skills, and it allows you to meet other game creators.