Q: I'm starting to make iPhone games. Please look inside and give suggestions.

cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hi,

I've been searching all over the internet about "Making an iPhone game". And I've found few options. These are;

-Unity 3D
-MonoTouch
-phonegap
-GameSalad

And few others..

But it seems like, the most user friendly one is GS. And, it is cheap, has a really nice UI and support forum :)

I know all the basic stuff. I've watched all of the tutorials. And I'm determined to start making a game right away.

Is there anything that I need to know? And what would you suggest me to do?

Anything you are going to say will help me. I really am a newbie and just trying to find my way.

P.S: I have a NoteBook that runs Vista. Is there anyway I can work with GS on windows or a MacBook is a must? (And if it is a must, will it have to be an "intel based" macbook?)

Thank you very much for your help...

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I think Gamesalad is your best bet, with the latest update, you now have all the features available for you to prepare a game including the latest one, save and load feature.

It's very user friendly, and with the latest update, you don't even have to convert music or graphics files to the correct format, it does it all for you!

Learning the rules and attributes will just take practice and effort, but the best part is you don't have to know a single bit of programming!

As a newbie and novice, you've come to the right place!

And you can't beat the price, and you could have a really good working game in about a week or two, maybe less depending on one's learning curve!

Good luck to you and welcome to the forums!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    GameSalad is Intel Mac only. So make sure you get one of those.

PhoneGap is nice, I've used it for a number of apps, but it's not for making games, it's really got webbased / javabased applications.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I would also add, don't worry too much about graphics and sound until you have a working prototype of your game. Once you have the basic gameplay down, then start thinking of graphics and such. My first game was just a green square shooting black squares are orange squares.
  • urhungryurhungry Member Posts: 112
    Gamesalad is great. I don't have an iPhone devoloper account, so I can't tell you about that part, but it's really easy to use, and is fairly well featured.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    You'll need a MacBook to publish your games to iPhone anyway, so it'll be a must at some point!

They're beautiful computers though - never want to go back to Windows ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I second QS's point on getting into a Mac :)
  • PPenguinPPenguin Member, PRO Posts: 110
    You can always just set yourself up a hackintosh and dual boot OSX and windows.