App first time start up performace issues on 3GS or latest devices

TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
edited November -1 in Tech Support
A confirmation from GS developers for this problem would be good.

I am working on a shooter for all generation devices and have noticed something which is not good for our games.

this also would explain why you need to restart the application if it runs like a dog when you install and run the game for the first time on the newer devices.

I created a logo screen with 4 animate sprites shooting bullets.

ran this for 2 seconds with bullet spawn every 0.1. On next scene, I displayed the results. each test I ran to get spawn count and then pressed button on phone to exit game.

On my 3GS,
1st run 158 actor spawns.
2nd run 222
3rd run 313
4th run 408
5th run 313
6th run 313

phone power off and on

7th run 313

1st Gen iTouch,
1st run 148
2nd run 148
3rd run 148
4th run 148

So there is a big problem when you install and run any game for the first time on iPhone 3GS and possibly latest iTouch (not got latest so cant test). Either this is down to the device in loading and running it in some way or the GS engine does something on first start up. Not being an apple developer, I would guess that the device is running the application in some sort of CPU mode or is monitoring the app for stability.

As the results on first run on a 3GS are like the older generation devices, this is a double edge sword. One the one hand, if it runs ok on first run then you know it will run ok on older devices. On the other hand, it means you cant instantly push the hardware.

For now, I will optimize the game for older generation devices but keep code in the game so when the iSlate is out and supported by GS, It will be an easy switch to turn on the extra stuff.