Monetizing an app?

GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
edited November -1 in Business and Marketing Theory
hi,
I was just wondering how it is possible to get ads on your app, so that you can make it free and therefore still make money? Any sensible response is appreciated :)

Gnomer.

Comments

• mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Do you have Pro? If so iAds (which suck) or add linked images in.

Ace
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    So how do they work?
    Do you have pro?

Ace
    No,
    You can't do either then, you need pro for both.

Ace
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    Can't use iAds without pro man.

Ahhh Ace you beat me to it!
    So without pro you can't make money from free apps? And if I did have pro how do you get money from the ads, is it pay per click or what?
    Nope, no money from free apps for free users. Pretty fair though since GS is free to publish games ;)

Yeah, pay-per-click but iAds was something that looked like a great way to make money but people make very little off it.

Ace
    Do you think it is worth it?
    To go pro? Yes probably....no splash screens, links, etc.

If you're just going pro for the iAds, then no it's not worth it.
    Me, personally think that Pro is very much worth it, the splash and links are worth it the branding and the other possibilities and Pro will be getting all the new feature like GameCenter, etc.

Another benefit is that the more pro sales, the longer that GameSalad can keep running as a company.

A lot of people don't think pro is worth it though, I think you know when pro is worth it for yourself.

Ace
    mynameisace said:
    Me, personally think that Pro is very much worth it, the splash and links are worth it the branding and the other possibilities and Pro will be getting all the new feature like GameCenter, etc.

Another benefit is that the more pro sales, the longer that GameSalad can keep running as a company.

A lot of people don't think pro is worth it though, I think you know when pro is worth it for yourself.

Ace

That's what I meant to say ;)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    iTouchGamer said:
    If you're just going pro for the iAds, then no it's not worth it.

Unless you have an app getting daily download numbers like say angry birds. Then you will for sure make some bank. But in all reality its just not very likely you will sustain and large income from iAds you make a decent chunk when someone clicks an ad but in reality no one clicks the ad's so you make about $0.005 per ad that is displayed. and the only way o get a reasonable amount of ads displayed in your app? you guessed it Angry bird like download numbers. :)

But on the other hand the pro features are cool and only get waaaaaaaaaay better.