Photoshop help

IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
Hello!
I need some help from people who knows Photoshop (especially Elements version):
1. Is there a way to change the way the stright line is drawing? Now it is a strange empty outline, and drawing in the way like this is uncomfortable while drawing pixel art lines, where you have to be sure that there is one pixel up and two right.
2. While drawing with antialiasing on, the lines are pretty ugly:
Is there any way to improve that?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Metronome49Metronome49 Member Posts: 297
    I don't understand your explanation of your problem. What lines are you comparing them to?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Metronome49 said:
    I don't understand your explanation of your problem. What lines are you comparing them to?

1. If you try to draw a line in PS, you see an outline like in the first image, this outline is showing you direction and slope of the line. And if you try to draw the same line, in for example MS Paint, you will see the line itself. So it is easier to draw the line as you wish in Paint.
    So I just want to achive the same drawing effect.
    2. Please take a look on the longest diagonal line in the second picture. Is pretty ugly, isin't it? Because of these sharp edges. And I want it to be more smooth.
  • FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    Up in the menu, you have three options for how to create the line / rectangle. Yours is probably set to Shape Layers or Paths. Set it to Fill Pixels instead. Or, after having created your lines, right-click your layer and select Rasterize. That'll do the same thing, i.e convert your vector data to bitmap.
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    Hey Moon,

So are you going for a clean line effect like vectors or pixelated look? If vector than use the Pen tool, if you want the pixel look you'll have to use the pencil with no antialiasing and in the image interpolation preferences, switch it to Nearest Neighbour or maybe bicubic sharper so that when you scale it, it still stays in form.

s.
    What method are you using to actually draw the lines in PS? The pen tool and then stroking it? Are you starting with the Brush?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Thank you Undersky and Shane!
    Metronome49 said:
    What method are you using to actually draw the lines in PS? The pen tool and then stroking it? Are you starting with the Brush?

I have polish version, so I try to translate it - under this tool is "Line tool (U)".

The second point is solved, actually lines look alright when zoom is set to 100% :)
    The line tool just creates a vector-based outline, which doesn't even show up if you were to save it as a PNG or anything, so are you filling the line?

That's definitely a weird way to go about making art in PS.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    perhaps try drawing a rough version with just line and then selecting the area and converting it to a path. You can then adjust the path, convert back to a selection and stroke the selection line. If you build up the shapes on different layers you can adjust them and finally merge and colour them (or not merge them, colour them, move them about to make it animate).