So.... what are YOUR marketing strategies

beaudoin_nbeaudoin_n Member Posts: 184
Anyone wants to share their marketing strategies, lauch campain tricks.. promo code attribution (whom you chose to send and why?), pricing, etc...

Success stories ?

Pitfalls ?

Sales Stats ?

Thanks for sharing

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    My game that I have spent the least amount of time marketing has done the best by far! I think titles, icons, screen shots and descriptions make a difference. I'm not going to name names, but their are some GS games that are really fun, but I would have never paid for them because the name was so boring or the icon was boring and just didn't grab me. Having a clever game title and an icon that makes people stop and think - "what is this game all about?" is what may stop a persons swiping finger long enough to look at your description and screenshots. You'll never get a sale ff they don't stop at your game as they're scrolling through.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    One simple thing I've noticed is that people do not put a link to their game in a post announcing their game!

Don't assume I'll go and search for your game! Put a link into your post! :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Go to TouchArcade and sign up! Post a preview of your game to get the hype going, and posting up the development process of your game even days or months before gets members looking and thinking about your game.

One game called A.D.D (Addictive Dumb Destractions) did that, I believe it took 6 months for their game to get approved because of some questionable content, but when the game finally came out, it boomed, and was in the new and noteworthy section too.

I noticed tons of posts, and people amped up because they already owned the lite version and were waiting for the full one.

I think Touch Arcade is the best play to go and promote your games, plus with my other games I offered free promo codes, and they were gone in a matter of minutes.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    What is your take on promo codes. Each promo code is a lost sale. It takes a lot of apps at .99 cents to get to that 150 buck level for a pay out. Does giving out promo codes help sales? What percentage of people that use a code give a good review or a rating? Any ideas?

Greg
  • criniitcriniit Member Posts: 17
    Little secret, the goal is to get onto the top lists. Good way to do it in one day is to give away all your promo codes, and get everyone to download the game on the same day. This is often enough to get you up on the top sales for a category for the day. Then the downloads start sustaining themselves.
    See, this is why I love this forum! You guys/gals ROCK when it comes to info. That makes complete sense! Thanks!

Greg
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    i always thought that would happen, but has anyone tried that?
    Yes I can assure you it works.
  • beaudoin_nbeaudoin_n Member Posts: 184
    And where do you give them to make sure they are used all at the same time (ie same day) ?
    Great information regarding giving away promo codes! I didn't know that :)
    butterbean....awhile back your app was featured on an app review site...what was the name of that site...it seemed to focus on developers like us.
    App review site? The only one I can think of is Enuhski's blog called "under the radar"

I found her on twitter, and she's a great gal, and does reviews for indy devs like us

http://enuhskigamesiphone.blogspot.com/

Check out her site, and if you have twitter, look her up, she'll do a review for you if you ask :)
    That was it!!!! I remember it now...'Under the radar'. Perfect! Thanks!

Greg
    @beaudoin_n

Give it away on forums such as toucharcade. They will go very fast and you can easily get all 100 downloaded on the same day from there. I would save at least a couple though for review sites.
    @ criniit

Can you save 50 codes from say, version 1.1, and 50 from 1.2 and give them all away? Or once you come out with another version, will that automatically void the prior codes?
    I just went out and got some Business Card paper and made up some business cards with my 'Pick A Party - Senate Edition' app Icon on it, my name, my email address, and a unique promo code on it. I am going to have my son hand them out to his teachers tomorrow that have iPhones and see if I can get them to leave me some reviews from a teachers point of view.

The cards came out really nice! I might make some more and maybe hand them out at MacWorld :-) too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pick-a-party/id348872806?mt=8

Greg
  • beaudoin_nbeaudoin_n Member Posts: 184
    I don't know if this changed, but before they only gave 50 codes and they expire as soon as the newest version is approved.
    That's what I thought, thank you!
    @butterbean

beaudoin is right I don't know where the 100 number came from lol my bad. And yeah once a new version comes out the old ones are voided.

@gregr

I do the same thing. I got business cards with my games on them and hand them out to everyone i see with an iphone. A lot of people think it is so cool that you made a game they download it on the spot.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    actually, the old ones are still valid, I gave some away after my new version came out.
    IIRC, they only expire after 4 weeks.