Exporting files from photoshop need help

kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
Hey, I read a few stuff about this but I need some help from someone tha knows PS a bit better than me.

-Need to use X4 pixel size for RI
-Need to use 8bit channel
-Need to export to PNG-24 for better colors
-Need to set to 72 dpi to import into GS

However, I need some help of how to export. I use illustrator to make my sprites, then paste them into photoshop.
Then I need to go in mode and change to RGB to flatten my image and make it expotable in PNG.
Is this the right mode/thing to do? Will this keep the transparency or display a white square around my image?

After this, I can export in PNG but I don't see how to chose from PNG-8 or PNG-24. Also, I don't see the option to set to 72 dpi.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    After you paste your image into Photoshop make sure there is no solid background color behind the image, just the checker board pattern. Under Save select "Save for web and devices" and a screen will come up with four images of your sprite. In this area you will be able to select PNG-24 with Transparency. Save your image from this area and it should work fine for GS.
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Thank you so much!

Can I ask how to toggle the checker board background? I can't actually find the option.

edit: nvm I can see it in the layer icon if I don't merge it with the background:)
    I have no idea why it's not working. I saved in PNG 24 with transparency, and after importing in GameSalad, I still have the white border around the sprite.

Is there some transparency option in GS or something I'm missing?
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Your image you paste should be a layer above the background (Background usually solid) - Turn off that bottom layer (you would see checkerboard pattern) then use the SAVE IMAGE FOR WEB not the standard save in PS. There you can choose png 8 or 24 bit and other options
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Yes, use the "save for web and devices" option.

Actually, you don't even need to use Photoshop, you can do this from Illustrator. To do that, you need to work in Illustrator at the exact pixel size, but "save for web and devices" gives you the same export options.
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by turning off the bottom layer. I got the background which is blank, and the pasted image on the layer which is checkerboard. Am I supposed to merge them or is there a way to turn off the background layer?

I don't do this directly from Illustrator because I use photoshop to make my sprite sizing but maybe I should do it straigh from illustrator.

Edit: Exporting straight from Illustrator works so I'm just gonna do this. Don't think I will really need any photoshop effects for now anyways.

Thank you guys