Power of 2 - Screen size question

JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
As a graphic designer who works day in and day out with Photoshop I understand graphics, but have a question regarding how the iphone uses the power of 2 rule:

The powers of two are:

Bu for example if the single screen size for the iphone is 480x320 pixels, I assume this means the iphone is placing a 480x320 graphic into a 512x512 container?

So from an iphone performance point of view if my game is going to contains loads of backgrounds, is it better to:

1. Create a graphic background 480x320 and let the iphone place it in a 512x512 container, or

2. Create a graphic background 512x512 and just let the excess not needed hide off the screen? Although the file would be 512x512, the graphic could still be 480x320 with the rest transparent so the file size wouldn't be much larger, but my question is, is which this better for the iphone?

Comments

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I would still make the graphic 480x320...

The file size of the graphic is an issue as well.
    You always have that 10MB limit hanging over your head...

I would just watch it with little stuff like a graphic that is needlessly 65x64 or something like that.

Also, just FYI, regardless of the power of 2 rule, keep all the dimensions of your graphics even, or they will blur.

Because GameSalad centers all the graphics, it will split the pixels of odd sized graphics, causing a slight blur.

So in that case, I would pad an extra pixel or two of clear pixels around the image to make its dimensions fall on even numbers.

Hope this helps!
    Joe

I would just watch it with little stuff like a graphic that is needlessly 65x64 or something like that.

Also, just FYI, regardless of the power of 2 rule, keep all the dimensions of your graphics even, or they will blur.

Because GameSalad centers all the graphics, it will split the pixels of odd sized graphics, causing a slight blur.

So in that case, I would pad an extra pixel or two of clear pixels around the image to make its dimensions fall on even numbers.

Hope this helps!
    Joe
    testing...
    very weird... i cannot post replies properly, unless they're very short.

Hope this helps!
    Joe

Hope this helps!
    Joe
    ignore these posts... i am just testing.
    if i post an actual reply, it disappears for some reason.

Hope this helps!
    Joe

Hope this helps!
    Joe
    there we go...
    i was able to EDIT one of my posts. very strange.