Fat Owl Marketing

mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
edited November -1 in Business and Marketing Theory
Hey guys (and gals),

I wanted to show what I am doing for my marketing and also reach out and ask for suggestions/examples of things you have done in the past to help sell games.

Marketing music is something I have been doing for years and a lot of those experiences will translate to game marketing (I hope haha).

The game's release date is going to be 29th May.

I have just created this comic strip as part of the promotional campaign:

The image links to a page I am creating for it but have not yet done, should be live in a few hours.

I am also going to create a promotional video and send out press releases to local news, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Ace

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Nice comic. I think you've about got all your angles covered. The only other thing would be sending that press release to all of the review sites. I've heard of those site at least posting your press release to their page even if they don't do there own review of the game.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Thanks Buddy, I'll do that!

I know that a lot of marketing sometimes is in vein on the App Store, but I'm happy with this game and I'm happy to do some extra leg work with marketing, see'f it gives me a leg up or not.

Ace
  • JamwithnoJamwithno Member Posts: 312
    Dude I love the comic and can't wait to beta test. BTW when are you going to have us beta test? I hope your game sells millions.
    Haha thanks buddy, Beta's will be sent out before the weekend.

Ace
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Thats really impressive, looks great, my only thought is that the App Store badge will end up very small if the image is used by blogs at a considerably smaller size ?
    Good call, I'll make a blog-only image too ;)

Thanks Buddy
    Ace
  • KrogothicKrogothic Member, PRO Posts: 123
    Looks nice, the comic is engaging for sure !
  • TheGamerTheGamer Member Posts: 94
    Maybe I'm dense, but I had to read the comic five times before I got it. I think the fact that you call your character fat owl in the first frame, didn't really say anything to me, as I don't assume that someone fat is automatically clumsy as well. If you use mother or mama owl I think it would be more clear, as I thought it was a male character at first. Of course I could be wrong. Great comic otherwise.
  • LykkeLykke Member Posts: 174
    Even though she's f(l)at, I believe she is the cutest owl I've ever seen :D

I'm gonna follow this one thightly!

TheGamer: I'm a woman and therefore naturally more sensitive than most guys (lol not) - anyway: I don't see it as 'because you're fat, you're clumsy'. I see a fat owl, who is fat because she has to drop some eggs, and she's not good at aiming, therefor she is clumsy ...Of course I could be wrong too ...

LOVE the drawings!
    Yeah, like Lykke said, there is no relation or implication that fat people are clumsy, it is just a clumsy owl who happens to be f(l)at (haha, nice one Lykke!).

Ace
  • Metronome49Metronome49 Member Posts: 297
    I also found the comic a little confusing, although very well done.

For different reasons though.

A problem is, in the second panel, the line of the egg drop leads your eyes down to the bottom of the page, and then your eyes gets lost.

I think if you added a small speech bubble, or even an "EEk!" or something to the first appearance of the egg character, then it would lead your eyes more naturally to his dialog (or his, thoughts? That we can read?).

The Fat Owl's "Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy" dialog, is she saying that to herself? Like self-reflectively?
  • TheGamerTheGamer Member Posts: 94
    I realised what didn't feel right for me, from my perspective of course. It's the lack of characterisation, as I don't really care about a fat owl, but I do care about mama, or papa or an "angry" Owl. lol, sorry had to put that last one in there. But I'm quite sure it's cool the way it is.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    To be honest, I don't understand what the comic is portraying. I think the art is excellent, but what does it mean?!
  • LykkeLykke Member Posts: 174
    Hmm might be wrong, But I believe it means that the owl is clumsy and can't hit the nest, which is why the little 'chicken'owl asks you for help because it's mother is clumsy. Yes, I do believe she is talking to herself ... She obviously got a typical 'egg brain' :P
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Looks good, Ace. Love the comic book approach.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    Ace

This looks brilliant
    Makes sense to me
    Job Done

James
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Very nice Ace, i expect this to do quite well :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I think people are over analyzing the comic :)

Look s great, best of luck
    Sorry. I'm a designer. I can't un-be. I'm guessing he posted it for feedback, not for back pats.

If I was mistaken, then... sorry, looks great, mate, cheers!
    Of course I'm looking for feedback, only way to improve is by looking at feedback and taking criticism well.

I am going it add your suggestion @Metronome49 to the comic as the biggest aim with this game was to make it as user friendly and pick-up-and-play-able as possible with no steep control learning curve.

I'm not a graphic designer, just got in to making artwork when I got in to app building so your advice is invaluable to me, thanks.

Thanks everyone!

Back to work for me :)

Ace
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Looks wonderful! Great work!
    Thanks! Glad to throw my perspective in there if it helps. I'll be picking your brain over stuff in the near future I'm sure.
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    Here is my feedback:

1) Who is the main character of the game? I would assume Fat Owl since that's the game's name. However, the comic implies that the chick/egg is the main character. It's the one character that is talking to the reader and asking for help. If Fat Owl is the main character and you control her, then I think she should be the one talking to the reader and asking for help. Otherwise, along with the "Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy" comment, it makes Fat Owl seem like she doesn't care about the chick/egg. In games with cute characters like this, you need to be able to sympathize with the main character's plight and want to help them.

2) Is the game about aiming and dropping chicks/eggs into the nest? Or is it about controlling the chick/egg (like a puzzle platformer), after it is dropped, and getting it back to the nest? I initially thought it was an aiming/dropping game but the chick/egg's comment does not jibe with that. If the chick/egg has already been dropped by Fat Owl, the only way to help it find its nest is by controlling the chick/egg.

3) I agree with Metronome49 about the flow of the panels after the long vertical one on the left. I also think some speed lines and impact graphics would help clarify the action.

That's my (hopefully) constructive criticism. I think the idea of using a comic as a marketing tool is great (and you could re-use it as the game's intro to give players an idea of how to play the game), but the current message is sending mixed signals.

- Jeff
  • cyplaycyplay Member Posts: 35
    Cool character design of Fat Owl.
    @JeffreyShimane

From watching the videos, it seems that you don't really control aim so much as the Fat Owl is constantly moving and you press a button which causes egg to drop, and you put props in the way to guide the egg. So, I guess you could really say that *you* are the main character, as the prop master, and you tell the Owl when to drop the egg.
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    @Metronome49
    Ah, I haven't watched any Fat Owl videos yet so I'm only going by what I've seen in the comic. I think potential customers will be in the same boat so I think the comic really needs to convey what the game is about.

@mynameisace
    Based on what Metronome49 said about the gameplay, here are some suggestions for the comic to make it more reflective of the gameplay:

1) Make the second panel (vertical one) shorter and move the 3rd panel (with the chick/egg talking) below it.

2) For the 4th panel, show some props added in (and possibly a cartoon hand to show the user placing the props) and the chick/egg successfully landing in the nest (and cheering).

3) I would get rid of the "Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy" frame. It doesn't add anything unless your intent is to cast a negative light on the Fat Owl character (she doesn't care about her kids).

- Jeff
  • sunifyresunifyre Member Posts: 9
    You've probably already have thought about this, but how about a Fan Page on Facebook with Fat Owl updates? I love the comic approach (thumbs up!) and the character is endearing enough to be a personality for daily updates on your fan page to generate buzz in the feed.

Kudos to you and all the best! :D
  • sunifyresunifyre Member Posts: 9
    sunifyre said:
    You probably already have thought about this, but how about a Fan Page on Facebook with Fat Owl updates? I love the comic approach (thumbs up!) and the character is endearing enough to be a personality for daily updates on your fan page to generate buzz in the feed.

Kudos to you and all the best! :D

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Absolutely love it mate.

Wish my Artistic skills where a match for yours.
    I will happily support your game on:
    http://www.facebook.com/ListYourTopiPhoneGame
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    looking great ace im currently getting 5000 flyers made then ill be on oxford st giving them out,outside apple store,whatever it takes