Hello GS people - my first post - read lots of the forum. Working on my 1st game

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited November -1 in Introductions
Good evening Game Salad People.

Thought I'd better post and say hello to the GS community.

I work as a full time animator/video editor and have been meaning to make a iphone app for a while. My first iphone the 3GS model turns up next week and I cannot wait, graduating from an ipod touch. I discovered game salad after looking into the apple developer program and getting scared off by the amount of coding needed.

I've watched the 3 game creation video tutorials in the Wiki and read random posts and checked out some of the premade bits in game salad for advice.

I've spent a few hours properly working on my first game now and its amazing how much can be achieved in a few hours with little knowledge.

Made a simple catching stuff falling from the sky game with titles and scoring. But need to spend some more time making nicer graphics. Hopefully animating the main actor when they walk left and right. Not the idea I want to make but its a simple game that might be alright with a bit of spit and polish. Once I get a bit better I may embark on a bigger and better idea.

Anyway, bit of a ramble but hello....no doubt be asking questions soon...

oooh....first question.

I want my character to change to another image when he has caught a falling item, but only change for .5 of a second then change back. Got it so it changes and changes back but only holds for 1 frame. Tried using the 'Timer' function but had no success yet...any ideas?

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    ARe you using the animate behavior or change image behavior. Change image should change the image and stay until told otherwise. Using the change image behavior with a timer should work.

Rule
    When actor collides with falling actor
    change image (new image)

Timer
    AFTER ___seconds
    change image (first image)

Oh, welcome to the GS community, you're going to love it!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Thanks for the reply....will give that a go...

hardly got any sleep last night, my mind was doing over time on what games/apps I could make and how I would go about creating them. All very exciting....slight problem as I'm 28 with a baby due in the next 4 weeks so really should be thinking about that....

I'm sure it will all be a breeze, and I can probably make some baby app game/utility....and all the proceeds can go to my babies university fund....or my personal beer fund..
  • JoshKahaneJoshKahane Member Posts: 470
    Congratulations and welcome. I hope it all goes swimmingly for you and Im sure you will have plenty of good times using GameSalad and here on the forums. :)
  • iWiniWin Member Posts: 334
    Remember not to share your game..i had to learn the hard way
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Welcome mate - I see you live in Staines! I thought people only went there to die ;)

There's a lot you can do with this little program - I liked your game - graphics are very appropriate considering the weather we've been having!

Love your website btw - very camp! ;)

Anyway, plenty of people here to help - looking forward to seeing what you can do!

Welcome!

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Cheers...

and yes Quantum Sheep, Staines surely is somewhere people come to die....

once I've made my first 100,000 selling apps or selling the camp camp site...maybe then I can retire to Devon and the surf....

Cheers for looking at my game, very simple but maybe with a bit of tarting up, proper animation and a working high score function it might alright....anyway, tis good enough to learn on.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Sounds like a plan! :)

I wouldn't worry about your first game being simple. Simple is good!

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io