Pretty interesting tactic

MrJCMrJC Member Posts: 20
edited November -1 in Business and Marketing Theory
I just downloaded this game on the iphone called Bull fighting heroes, here's the link to a video of the game

The game is free and it doesn't have any ads. So to make money this is what they do, every time you die you have to wait one hour to be able to play again. But if you want to play unlimited times and have more levels you can buy the full version.

What do you think of this marketing tactic I might try it on one of my games in the future.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I think it sucks.

Well, you did ask!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I'm with qs here. I'm never bothered by ads in my games (unless they're videos) but not letting me play would definitely bother me. Also, inapp purchases aren't available in Gamesalad, so you wouldn't be able to do this.

Asymptoteell
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    no but he can have a lite version and a paid version and have a url link to buy the full version. he isnt omitting any game play. So he should be good.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Jeffnichols said:
    no but he can have a lite version and a paid version and have a url link to buy the full version. he isnt omitting any game play. So he should be good.

He also has no way of working out how much time has passed.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

That's true. Save attributes still wouldn't move up when not in-game. This is just impossible.
    yeah true there. poor gamesald for not having the ability to access the iphone clock. how hard is that again? clock? mic? keyboard?
  • SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    those would all be very good improvements!
    Jeffnichols said:
    yeah true there. poor gamesald for not having the ability to access the iphone clock. how hard is that again? clock? mic? keyboard?

Probably very. I don't know though.

By the way, I hope I'm not sounding like a total jerk right now. I'm not trying to be condascending if it's coming out that way.
    nope. but then again sometimes it comes natural hahaha just kidding. but you walked right into it.
  • SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 194
    I would rather have ads then have to wait an hour.

Steve
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    What do you think of this marketing tactic I might try it on one of my games in the future.

Nice to see a different approach to trying to get some sales... but yeah... does suck a bit...

Far better, the standard lite route....to allow the user to play it...but with limited functionality, less levels, or no world leaderboard access, or something...then if the game is decent they can happily by the full version....
  • b2iscoolb2iscool Member Posts: 135
    Asymptoteell said:
    Probably very. I don't know though.

By the way, I hope I'm not sounding like a total jerk right now. I'm not trying to be condascending if it's coming out that way.

Its not really hard mate 5 lines of code lol

NSDateFormatter *formatter;
    NSString *dateString;

formatter = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
    [formatter setDateFormat:@dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm];

dateString = [formatter stringFromDate:[NSDate date]];

[formatter release];

And now you have the date the time and the year
    b2iscool said:
    Its not really hard mate 5 lines of code lol

NSDateFormatter *formatter;
    NSString *dateString;

formatter = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
    [formatter setDateFormat:@dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm];

dateString = [formatter stringFromDate:[NSDate date]];

[formatter release];

And now you have the date the time and the year

Ok cool. Still, it might be hard to make it work using the gamesalad source code. From what I've heard, Gamesalad's written in Lua, lets people do things graphically, then translates that into an Xcode file. It could be hard to do the double translation. I don't know though. I don't know much about coding or how gamesalad works.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    I think it is a lot of Bull
  • digletodigleto Member Posts: 76
    ^Good pun

And I think the idea would be very frustrating and if I was using the app it would not make me want to buy the full one.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    not only is this a pretty shady thing to do. i'm not sure how you could use it with GS anyway since you cannot access system time. only the amount of time the game is actually running so essentially they would have to leave the app on for the whole hour rendering their device useless just to play your game. I highly doubt any game would be worth waiting for an hour to play it again.
  • JPickardJPickard Member Posts: 477
    My first thought is: The general idea of a good game is to suck the player into it, not lock them out of it.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    The game Eliminate does this and it gained a lot of success.
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Just make a 20 second timer every time you die end end the game after half the levels.

Player can still get addicted but might be frustrated enough to buy the game XD

Sounds like a better tactic to me and works with GameSalad.

''I think it is a lot of Bull''
    lol too easy.

good one
  • DM613DM613 Member Posts: 6
    hi,do you know me?I think you must have never know me,I am new here,you will be familiar with me in the future,please remmember me,I am dmjy510,a special name and it is easy to keep it in mind.
    [removed spam link]