Nasty feedback from someone with a grudge against Gamesalad

firebirdgames.co.ukfirebirdgames.co.uk Member Posts: 20
edited November -1 in Business and Marketing Theory
Hi everyone,

My debut game Nom Nom has been badly slated in a review on the U.S. App store by someone called ak47killa123 (Perhaps someone with that moniker was looking to shoot down a cutesy puzzle game :) Has anyone else experienced this kind of attack, and can you suggest a way to get around it? I'm hoping that some more reviews will appear to counteract this attack on Gamesalad and my game. It's kinda disheartening for my debut launch.

Best,
Craig

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Just read the review. it doesnt seem like he has a grudge against gamesalad at all

he said your game seems like it was put together in a day and not though out. THen he said it seems like every gamesalad game is bad do they have a good one?

thats not a grudge to me, or nasty at all. He doesnt seem to be hating on gamesalad games cause there gamesalad, he just seeems like hes had disapointing results with gamesalad games. You should seee some of the other review where people outright bash gamesalad withotu even trying out and are very hateful
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    well TSb's games are pretty good
    GS games quality is not as great as others though
  • firebirdgames.co.ukfirebirdgames.co.uk Member Posts: 20
    You're more open-minded than I am John, fair play to you. It's difficult to accept that criticism though, when he took a promo code and then posted his review after 10 minutes (I was checking the app store a lot on that first day) ... He hasn't had time to play the game properly, nevermind see the 60 levels that have been individually designed over the space of a month.

It's my debut game ... the games will improve ;)

I agree that it must be even harder to accept the bashing if the user hasn't even tried out the game :)

Thanks for your feedback John,
    Craig
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    This is the splash screen catch-22. No custom splash screen and the pros get mad (rightfully so IMO), allow custom splash screen and the best GS games are no longer identified as being powered by GS. So currently if you see the splash screen it means that the game was most likely made by someone who has little experience with GS or isn't very good at making games. I am not saying this about you at all, though. What I mean is that most people that want to make a real go at this pony up the $500 or they make enough off of their first game to be able to pay the $500. Unfortunately your game (which may be great) is lumped in with the ones made by beginners (you should see my first couple of games! they sucked!), or people that are just doing this for a hobby, or those who just publish templates as is, etc.
    firebirdgames.co.uk said:
    You're more open-minded than I am John, fair play to you. It's difficult to accept that criticism though, when he took a promo code and then posted his review after 10 minutes (I was checking the app store a lot on that first day) ... He hasn't had time to play the game properly, nevermind see the 60 levels that have been individually designed over the space of a month.

It's my debut game ... the games will improve ;)

I agree that it must be even harder to accept the bashing if the user hasn't even tried out the game :)

Thanks for your feedback John,
    Craig

yeah its hard not to take the criticism to heart, Especially your first game. But you learn to deal with it, it doesnt bother me at all anymore. There will always be bad reviews and people that bash its just part of the business.

Take angry birds for example, its one of the most popular games and still has tons of bad reviews on it. Youll never be able to make EVERYONE happy

so remember just put everything you have into your game, don't release anything you don't thinks up to par or of a high standard, and you'll make it just fine :)

cheers
    Hi Calvin,

I think TSb's 'Zombie drop' is a great little game. It's well designed, plays really well and is a real challenge to complete. Do you think that games specifically programmed in xcode etc are better (as in faster, more ways to interact with the game, etc...) ?
    John, you are a wise man ... thanks for the advice.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Craig,
    I haven't read the review but I do share your concern.

The rating system is somewhat of a gamble and I could understand one star ratings if games cost $50

A person who rates a 99cent game with one star most likely has never made one. Has never made anything worth while in their life (with the exception of a baby which is the world's most complicated machine any idiot can make).

Hopefully, you will receive more ratings but not many people will actually leave a rating.
    My very first GS project received a 1 star rating that read: "I downloaded it, no sound. DELETE!"
    I could never understand how one person (out of 20000+) could not have sound while everyone else doesn't mention it.

If it is any comfort to you ... many good projects have 1 star ratings. Check out amazon.com books .... same story.

I hope you will receive additional, more balanced reviews soon :)
    Hi scitunes,

That's an interesting point. Once I get proficient with GS, I'll definitely be purchasing the pro version. I've been tempted already!
    Anytime :)

I still rmemeber my first bad review, i felt worse then i did after my first girlfriend dumped me LOL

but jsut like that you learn to brush it off to the side, hold your head up high and carry on as you were

good luck on you future projects and happy game making! :)
    great to see you posting again xylo!
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    great to see you posting again xylo!

Hey there John :)

Sometimes it's great to have a "forum world" to escape to ... for a while ...
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    This is why you should not give out promo codes anymore. Save them for friends and family,and to including press releases. Doing a drop on forums will always result in bad reviews
    Thanks xyloFUN and Jon, I think in future my promo codes will only go to friends and family and the rest will go toward promotion on proper review sites. At least then if they slate the game, I know they'll have given it a chance, and I'll get some form of feedback to make it better. Hopefully there'd be some positive reviews to counteract the negative.
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    @firebirdgames

Please keep in mind that it doesn't matter to a customer whether it's your first game or your 1,000th game. They don't care and I'm not sure they should care. Your app is on the same virtual store shelf as all the other apps and will be judged in comparison to them.

It's a tough world out there. People have come to expect quality from even $0.99 apps. Try to be objective with all customer feedback (good or bad) and see if they have any valid points that can make your update or next game an even better and successful product.

- Jeff
  • azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    I wouldn't let a bad review ruin your day. As someone else said you will never be able to please every one.

I let my daughters friend play the first couple levels of the game I'm working on and her words were "this is addicting" and "I would totally buy this". Now I'm sure once it's published there will be those that just don't like it but hey so what.

I would not post promo codes in a forum either. Come on, if you can't afford .99 to download a game that interests you then give it up now. I've downloaded quite a few members game from this forum and paid for them.

Got to pay it forward.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Firebidgames.co.uk, please email me at matthewredler@gmail.com

I'd like to tell you what i thought of that review other than being terrible :D

Matt
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Yes, not many GS games are great. The first 10 or so apps are a learning experience and my first 10 were crap. What I thought was great back then makes me cringe now.

A majority of reviewers are right, and I always take what people say and try to implement that in updates, and make every subsequent game a better experience for the buyer.

I've also been going back and updating my older, bad apps to make them up to my standards today.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    I dont see how anybody can give a review from a promo. I've tried so many ways and new codes and apple won't let me post any reviews on codes. All others purchased have no problem.
  • LykkeLykke Member Posts: 174
    Games are like music and movies - you can't make them all happy or reach everybody's taste.

Everyone who is creating something from heart wants people to like it. Criticism can be good though, and not all bad. Take the things he's saying constructively and try seeing your game from a players point of view.

Sometimes we get so sucked into something we work on, that we get all blinded.

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure to see your game yet - so I cannot give my own opinion on it. But hey, cheer up and get back up on the horse!

Good luck :)

----------------------
    www.gsdevs.com
    - for the love of games!
  • TheGamerTheGamer Member Posts: 94
    I just checked it out on your webpage, and watched the YouTube video. I think it's a pretty good idea, but the graphics are only ok, while the sound design really lets the game down. There to few and not very good sound effects, and no music at all. If you have more unique sounds fx and some catchy songs, I think it would be a much better experience for the end user.

Well, in my opinion anyway, I could be wrong.
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. You've all been really helpful and level-headed in giving your advice. It's given me a lot to think about now and for future games.

Wishing all the best in your own game endeavours,

Craig
  • DreadwenchDreadwench Member Posts: 6
    All feedback is good feedback whether it be negative or positve.

listen to it all, take the bad on the chin and use it to learn for the future.