Do lite version work for you?

JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
This is my experience of creating lite versions of my games. The full version gets good reviews (and ratings) and is downloaded a couple times a day. The lite version gets bad ratings (no reviews) and is downloaded a couple hundred times a day.

I think the lite version gets bad ratings because it's a lite version. The people download the lite version, but want it to act like the full version. The lite version never gets reviews, just bad ratings.

I have four lite version of games that I removed today. I'm going to see if this help or not with sales. If I don't see any difference then why make the lite version.

Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience?

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Let us know your findings. I have often wondered the same thing. TIA
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I have only one lite version of a game now, and my full game has received better reviews than the lite version. I think "free apps" in general get ripped into by users, and I think it's ridiculous when users delete the app from the iphone, that they can rate it on the spot.

I think users will rate a free app lower than a paid app because the don't put much thought into the review... especially since they never had to pay for it.

But if a user paid .99c or more for an app, then they usually put more thought into reviews.

I'm thinking about pulling the lite version of my app to see if it boosts sales too, and I really think at this point, that lite versions don't always boost your sales.

I think it's best to market the game you have (full version) the best way you can, and hope that it does well.

Let me know how your sales are affected by your lite version James, and I will do the same :)
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    So, your saying only one of your games are good tshirt?? =)

*note to self, keep away from tshirtbooth's games.....
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Yea, I've been debating on whether or not I will be creating a lite version for my game. It's very in depth and would probably do well by a lite version. I think I'll start release without a lite version & then work up to one. I won't do one right away, I don't think.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    The LITE version has definitely helped me out. I am using appFigures.com, which gives global hourly rankings of your apps in the app stores.

They only show the top 200 in any category though. The LITE version has finally pushed my game above the 200 mark, both are now hovering around the 150 mark. Which isn't amazing by any means, but considering that there are 15000+ games in the app store, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

And yes, the ratings are generally lower. But at this point, any press is good press!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    oh ok, good to know.

appfigures is 5 bucks a month for two apps, 1.49 for each app after that...
  • jkornoffjkornoff Member Posts: 55
    I was just going to post this exact question so I'm glad it's already a discussed topic. I put up a Lite version and it's downloaded quite a bit, but rated poorly. Well yeah!...it's a LITE version...limited levels of difficulty. I'm considering pulling the lite version because I'd rather have no downloads than a bad rating.

I say this because I have other 'real' apps that I professionally produce and I don't want people associating one of my play apps with a poor rating with one of my highly rated apps. Sorta like one bad apple spoils the bunch.

I don't really know why my lite version is rated poorly because I'm just getting star ratings, no comments or feedback yet. So I'm in the dark as to what I could improve. I think I will wait another week and then pull the lite version and see how it goes. I think tshirtbooth has a good point. It has to be the right kind of game for a free version to work. Mine may not be.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    As anyone tried an advance release Lite version? I just uploaded a lite version of my Xtreme Mountain Busing with three complete levels and a practice level. I am hoping to have the full version with 4 levels done in a month or so. My plan was to update the lite version when the full version is ready and give the lite version one more level. And of course in the whats new in this update description I would advertise that the full version is out. Then a few days later I would just pull the lite version. Anyone tried anything like this?
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    I put my lite versions back out. I did not see any difference in sales after I pulled the lite versions. I think having in app purchase would eliminate the need for a lite version.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @Scitunes - I personally wouldn't put a lite version out there without having a full version already on the app store. My reasoning being that people try apps and forget about them. If they liked your game, they'd want to buy the game there and then. When they can't, they'll just move onto something else :(

@James - again, personally, I'm not a fan of in-app purchases. When I dl something, I expect either a demo, which has limited functionality, or a full game. I don't expect to have to pay for features that should be in the game already. It's a personal viewpoint, as I said, but iap's turn me off.

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• jkornoffjkornoff Member Posts: 55
    @everybody - The app store itself is just like a game. It takes practice. Programming both native apps and making games with game salad is just the beginning. Marketing, promo, the right keywords and description, getting the ratings just right... I'd like to see GS build out a few more options for distribution; flash and/or browsers outside of Safari on Mac. The long tale is where we could see some traction, but that means being able to get it out to the widest possible audience. The ultimate potential with GS is awesome. I look forward to seeing who will be the first to hit a major home run!!!

@firemaplegames - I'm liking appfigures! It seems like a good analytics tool. I'm on the 14 day free trial so we'll see how it goes. Soooo close to breaking into the top 25 paid travel apps.

@tshirtbooth - I'm going to give it another week and see how the lite version goes. I'm doing about 150-200 downloads a day for the lite with only 2-5 sales of the full version. BIG money maker! hahaa That's alright, its more about learning than anything at this point.