Best way to set up a multiple level star scoring system?

olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Right I thought I better ask this now rather than creating 80 levels and then having to edit them all.

So my new game is basically going to follow the standard 3 star scoring system. Three stars are available on each level and whatever the player scores is saved and is then viewable on the level select menu. Whats the best way to go about this in terms of attributes and saving/loading attributes.

Does it make more sense to have 80 separate game atributes, each corresponding to a level? Or do I use a scene attribute for each level. (I think this might make things more complicated later on)

If anyone could let me know how they have set it up or if there is a nice template available that would be great!

Thanks as usual guys!

Comments

• icanmakeicanmake Member Posts: 466
    i have a tutorial here:

i made the scoring system fit into one scene and then just copy-pasted it to after each level.

i dont do it the same way as everyone else but it works great for me
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    If you want something like the 3-star system like Angry Birds where the score you get determines the number of stars you get...The way that I'm doing it for my game is like this;

I have an integer game.gameprogress attribute. When the player first starts the level it's at 1. When the player hit's the "start button" it changes to 2 and all the actors have a rule that when the game.gameprogress is 2 do behaviors...

When the player wins the level or dies the the game.gameprogress = 3 then the end of level behaviors begin.

I have game.level1score, game.level2score, game.level3score, etc...

RULE:
    When game.gameprogress = 3
    RULE: (within this rule)
    When game.score is >/= 1000
    Change attribute game.level1score to 3
    RULE:
    When game.score is > 500 AND < 1000
    Change attribute game.level1score to 2
    RULE:
    When game.score is > 0 AND < 500
    Change attribute game.level1score to 1

(Outside of the 3 rules, but inside the 1st rule)
    Save Attribute game.level1score to key: level1score

(Opening menu has Load Attribute behaviors; Load key: Level1score, etc).

In my level select scene I have 4 images, one with 1 star, one with 2 stars, and one with 3 stars and one with a "lock" on it. So, on that actor that selects level 1 I have a rule that when game.level1score is >/= 1000 change image to 3starimage.png, etc. etc.

That's the way I am doing it. This may not be the best way, but it certainly is getting the job done.

:-)

Good luck!
  • olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    Thanks for the swift reposes guys, really helpful. So there aren't any issue with having loads of game attributes is there?
  • smithy9780smithy9780 Member Posts: 31
    Hi

Is there a Template or a Demo on this for free :)
    Bump. Does anybody know if there is one :)
    Hi

Sorry for bumping old threads. I have searched it and there are no results, have you got any more ideas. :)
    Hi

Has anybody got any ideas. :)
    Hi

I Really don't want to bump because i don't like doing it. But i really need an answer. :)
    Hi

Any ideas guys :)
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Wow... There are more bumps in this thread than at Untopian Games :)

Just do as is said above, create an attribute for each level. Level1Stars, Level2Stars, etc.

I don't have Internet at the moment, just a bad phone signal so can't load it up, but isn't there a video tutorial for this a few posts up? Just watch that.

Ace
    no it has been blocked. do you know what is is called.

can you break it down and explain a bit more for me please. what to do
    Hi

tshirtbooth, is there a template or a tutorial for this. It would be a great help if there is. :)
    bump ^^^^^
    I have had a look but no. Could you have a little look for me because i tried to search but i got no results.

:)
    I had a look, before you said to search on the creator. I was wondering if you knew of any. Please possibly could you make me one please.

Hi

I will tell you what i need. Basically what happens in my game is an actor (actor) collects stars in a time limit. If they don't at the end of the level it comes up with a box saying how much stars they have collected. A bit like cut the rope.

Now can you explain with this principle please. :)
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    tshirtbooth said:
    i dont understand, i typed out what to do.
    Did you try it?

Lol ;)

Ace
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    @Ace please check your pm
    @smithy9780 search with text "score" in gamesalad creator.
    Hi

Creativeapps

I could not find anything to do with this. I found like 30 other different projects though, which had nothing to do with what i wanted. Anything other ideas.

Suggest you go for Tshirtbooth paid skype service. You will get your answer with full of details.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Check out TSB's awesome cool menu system template
    Hi

Why can't you help me.
    Hi

Ok you said "All you need to do is have a game.level1stars attribute (index)" which i get.

Next bit i don't get "at the end of the level set game.level1 to 1,2 or 3 depending on what the player got" where do i put this, yes at the end of the level. But i have a timer counting down so i don't get that bit can you help me with this.

I don't get this bit either i have 3 stars so what do you mean icons and 4 images. "Then on all your icons that show the stars have 4 images"

rule if game.level1 = 0
    display 0 star image

rule if game.level1 = 1
    display 1 star image

rule if game.level1 = 2
    display 2 star image

rule if game.level1 = 3
    display 3 star image

This bit below i don't get either. Can you help me please a bit further.

Now a few things you will want to do is save the attribute and load it again at the start of the game.
    also you will want to check to make sure that there new star score is better then there old star score before changing it.

Please help me :)