making pictures

iWiniWin Member Posts: 334
in most games i see very good pictures, is there a program to make these pictures that i can use or do u have to get them online?

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    There are public use photo and clip art sites out there.

Then there are your various photo manipulation and drawing/painting applications too.

I think those two combined are what most people use for images/pictures/sprites/backgrounds.

If you get yourself a drawing/painting program, be sure to get one that supports vector images,layers, and transparency (as well as multi-level undo).
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Here is some info from GS user/employee "Cobra" from another thread/post in these forums (just substitute "music"/"sound effect" for "image" and the advice applies):

Some examples:
    - You could create your own art from scratch.
    - You could hire an artist to create additional art for your game.
    - You could get written permission from a musician to use one of her tracks in your game.
    - You could purchase royalty-free sounds for your game through a sound library service.
    - You could find assets offered for free under a Creative Commons or similar license, making sure to follow the terms of the license.

Some examples of what NOT to do:
    - Don't use music from your iTunes library. (Buying a song does not give you the right to use it in your game.)
    - Don't assume that "royalty-free" means "completely free." (Typically you'll purchase the asset for a one-time payment, and/or provide credit.)
    - Don't assume that anything is in the public domain. (For example, Beethoven's 5th is 200 years old, but any given recording of it is still under copyright.)

Thanks to Cobra.