I'm seeing some real confusion over PPI/DPI amongst the community.

2»

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    SlickZero said:

Debating over ppi and dpi will get you nowhere here.

Personally, I swear on my big toe's life that I'm never going to enter into another discussion/argument concerning ppi/dpi ever again.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I'm gonna go ahead and put my 2 cents in…

PPI - This will affect the print size of your photo and will affect the quality of the output. All that PPI does is affect the print size of the image.

DPI - Only refers to the printer. So each pixel of the image is created by a series of these tiny dots.

A 1200 dpi printer uses 1200 dots of ink in every inch to make up the colors. If you printed a 300 PPI image, then every pixel would be made up of 16 smaller ink dots. A lower DPI would have fewer ink dots making up each pixel, which would make the color look worse. A higher DPI would have more ink dots for each pixel of course. The dots make up the pixels.

Just my 2 cents. And the American dollar is in decline, so take that for what it's worth.
    SlickZero said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and put my 2 cents in…

PPI - This will affect the print size of your photo and will affect the quality of the output. All that PPI does is affect the print size of the image.

Try putting a 35ppi or a 100dpi image into GS, as well as the same image as 72dpi to compare, and see what happens! ppi is more than for affecting the print size of the image; it's important in the computer/GS too.

My big toe's gonna get it...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I agree with what you have been saying throughout the thread, but I'm talking strictly printing. Monitors and software bring a whole different can of worms into the mix.
    SlickZero said:
    I agree with what you have been saying throughout the thread, but I'm talking strictly printing. Monitors and software bring a whole different can of worms into the mix.

Gotcha, OK SlickZero. With Metronome49 disagreeing with most of what I said, I guess I as assuming everyone else disagreed too!

Just to say, I haven't been trying to be clever or score ego points in this thread whatever, just trying to correct what I saw as incorrect information. Dunno why I needed to say that, but got it off my chest...

• SnowAppleMintSnowAppleMint Member Posts: 23
    I will say that most of what you have said gyroscope seems to be accurate (from work experience with both print and computer)
  • Metronome49Metronome49 Member Posts: 297
    stormystudio said:
    wow!

I read this when it was one comment...went to the pub came back half drunk...and now I have no idea what's being said...please summarise in 10 words or less...

Summarization:

Ppi and it's theoretical improtance are debated, and I personally question it's relevance to Gamesalad, but as far as GameSalad is concerned, through my testing, any ppi over 72 is gonna screw your image up, for sure.

So, definitely keep it below 72 for GameSalad.

I still question why GameSalad would need to pay attention to ppi and run a resampling algorithm when importing...

Uuum. Probably still not a good summary.
    Definitely not 10 words or less.