NextGen Is Looking For An Artist - TOTB3

RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
edited November -1 in Conferences and Events
Hey All,
I am looking for an artist to partner up with to create an entry for the Think Outside The Box 3 Competition. The winnings will be split equally, being discussed pre-competition. I will do all coding, & if chosen, you would illustrate all images. Please email me if you're interested - matthewredler@gmail.com

Thank You,
Matt

Comments

• DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    You know your not supposed to announce it if your working with a partner.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    DreamLab, I do not hide things. I am looking for an artist. We're not "building" the game together to make a better chance of us winning vs someone else, just someone to do art; as I cannot. Very smart move indeed :D

Matt
    NextGen said:
    just someone to do art; as I cannot.

I got this. than "think outside the box" and figure out a way how to get your art. Most people entering are doing all of their own stuff. If they aren't, they keep their mouth shut on it like stormy said to do. Most DEVS dont work together. Its usually an artist and a dev. and that is most likely what stormy meant.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    DreamLab said:
    Most DEVS dont work together.

Is it against the rules to work with others? What's so bad about forming teams?
    Photics said:

I was saying that most developers do their own coding and hire artists. For the competition Stormy said if you work in teams, than it would be a good idea to keep your mouth shut.
    Ok, if it's really that big a deal for DL, someone please change the title to artist as compared too partner for immature people.
    Photics said:

EXACTLY :D
  • mangaroomangaroo Member Posts: 419
    for the competition i can see how it may be an issue but DL ... sounds like u have it in for nextgen :P

wonder why stormy would say to keep mouth shut if working in teams :S i guess the whole point is to encourage gamesalad as a tool for gamecreation and teamwork is unnecessary but that isnt the right way to going about creating solid gamesalad games if one simply cant do the artwork
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    This has been a murky point in all TOTB contests. Technically yes it is against the rules to have a team of any sort. Since art is part of the judging if you have a second person doing art for your project then you have two people working against the same set of criteria as everyone who is working on their own. That makes the contest unfair. Your artist will have 3 week to himself/herself for art when others have to manage time for art into their 3 weeks of creation. Truly I hope Stormy sets up some definite guidelines on this. And quite honestly to be fair it should be no teams period. Otherwise the contest is unfair to those not willing to risk their game they may publish on a partnership deal.
    DL, please stop BSing this thread and keep it real. It IS ok for me to work with an artist. As I stated before, it doesn't give me a higher chance of winning V anyone else, just an artist.
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    NextGen said:
    Hey All,
    I am looking for an artist to partner up with to create an entry for the Think Outside The Box 3 Competition. The winnings will be split equally, being discussed pre-competition. I will do all coding, & if chosen, you would illustrate all images. Please email me if you're interested - matthewredler@gmail.com

Thank You,
    Matt

I really think for something as big as this competition, don't split the damn winnings, that won't turn out well. Get some money, hire an artist. Not everything is free, and not everything will come to you when you want it to.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    mangaroo said:
    wonder why stormy would say to keep mouth shut if working in teams

Wow, I was surprised by that too. Did that actually happen? It's probably not a good way to run a contest. There shouldn't be a gray area. Either teams are allowed or they're not.
    mangaroo said:
    for the competition i can see how it may be an issue but DL ... sounds like u have it in for nextgen :P

Sadly, from the start there has been some members that dislike me. I will not name them, but if you read some of the threads I have posted you will see; as it is obvious :/
    Matt
    awww ma poor baby! ;) don't worry about it dude big world small fuses
    mangaroo said:
    awww ma poor baby! ;)

xD
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    NextGen said:
    DL, please stop BSing this thread and keep it real. It IS ok for me to work with an artist. As I stated before, it doesn't give me a higher chance of winning V anyone else, just an artist.

I think it does increase your chances of winning, even if art isn't one of the criteria for judging the contest. Those who don't team up have to factor in time to do art, you don't. If it isn't against the rules then I guess it isn't unfair that you use one but I'm going to stick on my own.
    from a recent post by stormy:

- You must have full copyright to all artwork and sound used in the game.

might be an iffy subject - he is saying no use of templates either so it seems like they do want it to be an individual effort
    mangaroo said:

- You must have full copyright to all artwork and sound used in the game.

might be an iffy subject - he is saying no use of templates either so it seems like they do want it to be an individual effort

There ya go nextgen.
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    NextGen said:

Ironic
    mangaroo said:

...it seems...

It seems DL, I will email Jon about it.
    Just went back to the thread he says "@Kapser- Are collaborations allowed?...hmmm.... (does any one remember what the rule was last time?, I'm inclined to say yes as you could do it anyway without telling anyone)...."

and if you want a better one go back to the rules for the first one. If you work with a partner, it would be best to keep quiet about it. That way when people judge they don't consider the fact that you had help.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    This thread is going nowhere. Either drop it or I'll close it, wr don't need to see bickering.