Crazybreadman | TOTB3

CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
edited November -1 in Conferences and Events
Ocean Theme eh? First thing that pops in my head is going way deep with the freaky looking fish. Like translucent ones or anglerfish with the lights sticking out of their heads and will die if they go up higher where's the water pressure's too low. Yeah, and I want to create a metroidvania style game with this setting. This will be awesome!

Comments

• CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    The name of my game will be "Glowing Depths." The style is watercolor art and paper cutout animation. With watercolor you can still get dark colors, but for lights you can get some great vibrant colors. Also you can get some great textures with watercolor by adding things like salt or baking soda. I'm trying to get a grungy feel with lots of interesting lights and colors thrown in. I'll have some artwork up soon!

STORY
    In the ocean depths, light is power. Without light, you don't find or attract food. Without food, you won't last long. You are Sorcha the anglerfish with the special ability to harness great amounts of luminous energy. With this known ability you have become the target of a conspiring group of fish. This ruthless fish mafia is led by a transparent headed creature known as "The Mastermind."

One fateful day, your sister was kidnapped by this very mafia. You make your way to meet "The Mastermind" and deal for your sister's freedom. You learn that to gain your sister's freedom you have to retrieve the 3 "Shrimp Relics" which generate the ocean's power for luminosity. The red, blue, and green relics together produce the light energy for all fish and with them "The Mastermind" will have control over who lives and dies. These relics are kept safe by "Gate Keepers" and huge creatures known as "Guardians." Will you be able to find a way to collect the 3 relics and save your sister? What will happen when "The Mastermind" gets power over the relics?

More details on the gameplay style and concept will come soon, but in a nutshell it is a Metroidvania style game that involves using your increasing arsenal of light powers to fight certain enemies, unlock new areas, and beat the game.
    This shows the game's graphic style. Here is the main character, Sorcha the Anglerfish. This model is a rig that is able to be fully animated and the background is a separate water layer and the top layer is an opacity gradient. This is basically how the layers will be set up in the game.

Tomorrow I'll be working on the environments and ironing out some gameplay mechanics.

• old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I shall be keeping a close eye to make sure your grooviness is not too excessive. I am looking forward to seeing what scale your fish is on screen....

Good luck and cheers

Kipper
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Crazybreadman said:
    This shows the game's graphic style. Here is the main character, Sorcha the Anglerfish. This model is a rig that is able to be fully animated and the background is a separate water layer and the top layer is an opacity gradient. This is basically how the layers will be set up in the game.

Tomorrow I'll be working on the environments and ironing out some gameplay mechanics.

Awesome.
  • MrshoestoreMrshoestore Member Posts: 181
    lovely art.. i enjoy it
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    This fish look amazing, can't wait to see it animated. I like the choice of the color pallet too.

The idea of this being a metroidvania is getting me hyped about this, and it has a pretty sick scenario for a fish game! Ambicious project :)
    Hey thanks for the compliments everyone! I am planning to get some video up later today of the fish swimming around a bit. I'm just working on the animation for Sorcha and the movement mechanics now.

@oldkipper- It is 200x100px on the iPad screen in landscape mode. I think it's big enough to show detail while leaving plenty of room to see what's around you.
    I worked on the controls today and here's a video clip of Sorcha swimming around. I did a quick animation sequence for swimming too. It fits in with the cut paper style, but I'm not quite sure if I should rework the animation or not. What do you all think? The background in there now is temporary. The real one will be more detailed and fit in better. I'm pretty happy with the controls so far though!

Added some water effects and behaviors for other neutral fish (which will not look exactly like the main fish later on). There will be enemy fish mixed along with neutral fish. You will get different colored light by obtaining "Shrimp Relics" and once you have an enemies color you can attack them. Anyways, more on that later but check out progress so far in this vid.

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Lovely artwork! Reminded me of the Anglerfish from Finding Nemo, loved that scene!
    butterbean said:
    Lovely artwork! Reminded me of the Anglerfish from Finding Nemo, loved that scene!

Except this time the Anglerfish is not exactly a bad guy. Actually when talking to other characters you run into you'll find that Sorcha the anglerfish is actually considered a beauty of the deep sea lol. There will be bits of humor in the dialog when you come across gatekeepers and such. But you still are kinda mean as you'll attack small fish and shrimp for food and fight enemy fish. The mood of the game is weird and surreal with a touch of humor.
    Hi mr breadman. Like your art and not sure if you will take this on to a full game but if you do I have discovered something in GS that might be of interest to you (given the specific way you have made this)... Look at the movie of the candles in my stupid totb thread.

And well done.

kipper
    old_kipper said:
    Hi mr breadman. Like your art and not sure if you will take this on to a full game but if you do I have discovered something in GS that might be of interest to you (given the specific way you have made this)... Look at the movie of the candles in my stupid totb thread.

And well done.

kipper

Yes, I wanted to ask you about that but didn't think a magician revealed his secrets!
    Haha, actually I was thinking you made an illusion of sorts by adding the 2 smaller candle flicker animations above the main black layer that has the hole for the main candle. The two smaller candles are static w/ a dynamic large candle, but I wont have any static lights in my game. All the fish/creatures will have to move so I would need 2+ dynamic moving lights where the background would be visible and changing as they move. If you know how I could do that please let me know because that would help so much!!! I just figured multiple moving lights would not be possible w/ GS.
    pm sent