new type of platformer

gameatticgameattic Member Posts: 17
edited November -1 in Announce Your Game!
I've been playing around with this idea for a platformer and want to know if anyone thinks: A) its doable in GS B) its actually a good idea

every normal platformer follows the convention of falling down a pit = death however i want to make a game in which you are constantly falling. So the idea is kind of a sideview sky diving game in which each level is set up with multiple paths you can fall through, collect powerups avoid enemies etc. (platforming basics) your character will be controlled via accelerometer for right and left pitch and there will be both a dive and parachute button on either side of the screen. The dive button will be used to both dive bomb enemies from above and help control your characters altitude through difficult obstacles. The Parachute button will be used to slow the pace of falling down and also allow the character to rise to greater heights and reach new areas in different parts of the game where air currents are present.
Hitting a ledge or ground will result in death; however, if hit by enemies you just lose health. the game will either sport an overworld map ala classic mario games or just standard level progression with no map screen. All the worlds will have a specific theme that tie in to the story which i wont go into. for instance i thought the first level could be falling through a village in the sky and then next could be something like a giants castle like in fairytales.
The game will feature handrawn backdrops and sprite based characters which is feasible as i already have a couple artists to work on this for me. the characters will be cartoony and the story will be suitably mild and simple i was thinking somethin like capcom's Little nemo for the nes.

Anyways sorry for the long post, please be critical... I do know however that this will not be my first project and i intend to spend a good month at least just learning the ins and outs of the program, i have no experience with gamesalad but i do have experience with other game creators such as gamemaker and rpg maker (the latter of which i dont expect to be of much value ) and some very, very limited programming knowledge.

Comments

• gameatticgameattic Member Posts: 17
    PS sorry if this is in the wrong area its my first post i wasnt sure where to put game ideas.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    very doable. In fact I won the december game challenge with a game that does this!
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Thats kind of what my first game is as well

Have a look.

I also agree that you're on the right path not taking on your main project first.

I did the same thing in fact i spent the first few days just studying the wiki and samples so i could avoid posts like " HEEELP please explain to me what is actor" haha

http://gamesalad.com/game/play/34793
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    hmm... i am working at this kind of game too... ;))
  • gameatticgameattic Member Posts: 17
    haha, guess my idea isnt so original, thanks for the replies guys really excited to start fiddling around with this program

one more question though, im an rpg addict and was wondering if battle systems like final fantasy or legend of mana are possible on GS. im asking because i dont have access to a mac right now, im in japan at university so i cant try the program for myself and havent found to many videos of rpg's and i just want to find out whats possible with this program so i can start dreaming up/ designing some unique games.

thanks again for the help :)