TOTB3 - Final submissions with a Video and description (not GameSalad Arcade)

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited November -1 in Conferences and Events
TOTB3 Contestants...

The GameSalad HTML 5 arcade has gone live....

Discussion on whether we want the HTML5 option for submissions... (after this discussion we have decided not to allow gamesalad arcade games this time round)

Comments

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Some of them have to sped time to change controls for their games...
  • wouterwouter Member Posts: 174
    yeah! +1;)
    but you can copy html5 of the site? (or is it encrypted (like php)?)
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    yeh i can give that a go :)
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Isn't the html5 only iphone landscape though?
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @ dreamlab.... very true.... so if your game does not meet the GameSalad arcade needs a video will be fine...
    stormystudio said:
    @ dreamlab.... very true.... so if your game does not meet the GameSalad arcade needs a video will be fine...

Im glad mine does! haah. I was just curious. But it also might be hard if it uses the accelerometer, multitouch, ect. ect.

Very good idea though. Makes it easy to actually play the games.
    haha mine is also landscape hehehehe:P
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Must we ?
    Because then i will have to re-size my project (im doing iPad size)
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    I think that's a great idea... but unfortunately I'm building for iPad resolution. In cases like mine, I could still publish for Mac desktop and send to the judges right? I think actually playing the game is 10x better than a video.
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    I think its a great idea for the judges to play the game entries. It really helps them get a feel for the whole entire game and to see if it is really worth something. Rather then just a 2 min video showing the best parts.

Those who have iphone size can post to arcade, and those who are making iPad or Mac games can send their game files to stormy for judges.

I don't think we have to worry about the judges stealing anything. They are the most respected group in the community and we voted for them....
    outasite said:
    I think its a great idea for the judges to play the game entries. It really helps them get a feel for the whole entire game and to see if it is really worth something. Rather then just a 2 min video showing the best parts.

Those who have iphone size can post to arcade, and those who are making iPad or Mac games can send their game files to stormy for judges.

I don't think we have to worry about the judges stealing anything. They are the most respected group in the community and we voted for them....

Idk about anyone else, but I still wouldn't feel very comfortable handing out my game project.
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    Everyone,

Can't we just get all of the judges UDIDs and send them our project as an ".app" and with a provisioning profile?

That way they all can play on their devices. And members like DreamLab can be comfortable..
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    There is a solution to everything.

@cbt Good Job, I totally forgot about ad hocs... Dilemma solved.

• JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    If judges are willing, then ad hoc.
    Otherwise i wouldn't mind giving the gs project to judges.
    I think we can trust them :)

JamieOneil
  • JPickardJPickard Member Posts: 477
    how about the testflight website?
  • macewanmacewan Member Posts: 214
    wouter said:
    but you can copy html5 of the site? (or is it encrypted (like php)?)

only if you feel like screwing around with http://gsa0.gamesalad.com/05ef0515-f3d7-427f-8abc-718bd079216a/object.json & whatnot

big pain if you ask me
    ok so submissions can be:

-a video showing gameplay ( One of the simplest options for the judges to review your games)
    -a html 5 gamesalad arcade version (if your game is compatible)
    -adhoc versions (though I don't know if all judges will have ipads... plus they will need to hand out their UDID's)
    - A gamesalad project file if you're happy handing them out to the judges.

-?

Thanks

Jon
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Well this isn't too good (for me at least). Im designing mine for mac and I think the ones that submit a html 5 gamesalad arcade version will have an advantage over the others :(
    at artsonskyble....I don't think it will make a real difference a video showing gameplay will be judged on the same scoring system...

......Adhoc on a mac app??
    I'm not sure how adhoc versions work for the mac? (do they even exist)
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    It's hard to judge fun factor and replayability from a video.

I think if someone have an advantage it's those showing only a video. They can focus on their coolest level and stuff.

Look at Ubisoft games. Their trailers are always incredible, but when it comes to actually playing the game they sucks.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I would prefer to still have a video for all of them as the main way of judging. I'm not sure how much time all of the judges can devote to playing 30+ games as much as we would like to.

Not against playing some of them but I think All should have a video.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    If there are some video submissions and some demo submissions, everything starts to get messy and disorganized. I think there needs to be just one way to submit your entry, to keep it fair for everyone.

If you would make a requirement that it must be uploaded to gamesalad arcade for judging then I wouldn't mind redesigning it for the iphone, but as of right now there are several ways to submit so I really don't know what to do.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    @arton - You can build a mac desktop app that is not for the mac appstore. It just runs on any mac without any special "Adhoc" or anything. You'll just need to send it in an email to the judges or host it on your own site and give us a link to DL it. We will then have access to the app and not the gs project so there is no security risk either.
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    Change rules after contest was started is a mistake.
    My 2 cents
  • FloridaGamesFloridaGames Member Posts: 328
    tenrdrmer said:
    I would prefer to still have a video for all of them as the main way of judging. I'm not sure how much time all of the judges can devote to playing 30+ games as much as we would like to.

Not against playing some of them but I think All should have a video.

I had the same concern...
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Riffel said:
    Change rules after contest was started is a mistake.
    My 2 cents

Cannot Argue with that logic.
    ok, lets ignore the GameSalad arcade option...final submissions are for a video with some words on why our game is 'Outside of the box'...

Cool...

case closed...

We can do GameSalad arcade next time perhaps..