About choosing the right apple devices...

beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
before we launch the app to apple check it we can choose the proper devices(range or types)
that our app can smoothly run( like iphone ( 3GS,3G,2G) and the ipod touch (3G,2G and 1G).

Is that right!?

if I am testing my APP o an iphone 3GS and it´s running very nice ( with just a few slow downs at major enemy spawns and heavy special effects) in what types of ipod touch could my game run smoothly? ( the ipod touch 2G and the 3G) or ( just the ipod touch 3G)?

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    If you are doing heavy spawning with a lot of graphical effects it will NOT run very smoothly on iPhone 3G. I test everything on a 3G. I had a heavy spawning game (TD) & have really had to think outside the box to make it work on a 3G. I would probably indicate on the game that it is 3GS only, otherwise you will have a lot of unhappy fans.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Technically and according to iTunes Connect (when you go to submit your application), there are TWO generations of iPhone and iPod touch.

The first iPhone is only has EDGE speeds.
    The iPhone 3G has the same first-generation processor but with a 3G chipset and assisted GPS.
    As for the corresponding iPod touches, they're simply the same as the iPhone sans radio and camera, among other things.

The new iPhone 3GS and iPod touch have a new, faster processor, so it's considered 2nd generation.

I should have designed my game for the original processor, but now that almost everything is in place the way I want it and it's running smoothly on the 3GS, I can no longer compromise the work and detail I put into it.

I tested it on the original processor, and the load times between scenes and the gameplay is far too sluggish to be enjoyable. So, when it comes time to submit, select "2nd generation iPhone and iPod touch."

Consider that a possible iPhone 4 (third-generation processor) may be announced as early as this month and released later this year, too.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    I had to run a multiple spawn process (hidden) to detect the type of processor and then adjust the game by destroying non critical actors on each level.
  • beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    thanks to the answers!

AND BeyondtheTech I already know you from the iTGB forums ( ^_^ ) before that post that you talked good things about gamesalad I was already a member of this forum ! so if you are here meas that your experience with iTGB is not good right? my game was ready on TGB but I really liked the interface from the Gamesalad.( as I am a programer but not stupid i know that a fast interface can make games really fast...and Gamesalad is all this good and much better. I only wish they could implement a better interface to the particles system here! And the performance on the iphone is awesome!!

about my spawners ...i tried to create fixed enemies and spawn and destroy them at the right position and realocate them on their position again ...but when i used instruments to meassure the cpu it was higher than before...on itgb that worked for me but with GameSalad i can use invisible spawners with a better performance. I think i'll reduce the timer to put my enemies outside the screen.

do you guys have a better way to implement this( i think i have used all my cards in this one ) at least not removing my particles when they are destroyed( I could change my particles with sprites...what do you think about this? it will reduce the cpu and increase the memory usage a little!