ipad 3 retina display

wouterwouter Member Posts: 174
hi,
there are many remours that the ipad 3 is going to have a retina display. this means that the pixels of the ipad 3 should be: 2048 × 1536.
what should i do? design for ipad3 retina or design just at 1024x768 (normal ipad)
the ipad 3 is going to released in april (i guess^^)

i guess it's easier to design for the ipad and then resize the images to iphone 4 format?

wouter

Comments

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    ridiculous i just bought an ipad2 few days ago.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    ultima said:
    ridiculous i just bought an ipad2 few days ago.

its nothing to stress over. Thats still 9 months away, and still specualation at this point.

Besides its alwasy better to have older then new for development purposes
  • wouterwouter Member Posts: 174
    so just go for the 1024x768 format?
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    are you working in vector or pixel? for vector you can always scale up. for pixel it's better to start off with bigger size for all your elements, and export them as smaller. since it's not really possible to upscale without lost of quality..
    ok thanks;)

i think both, lol, the background become pixel and the character become vector (i think;)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    if your using photoshop or gimp thats pixel, illustrator and inkscape are vector. Pixels is made in well pixel and vector is shapes. So vector is your more cartoony stuff most the time and photoshop realistic.

But as far as how to develop your art for games, ultima's device is spot on
    yeah i know;)
    i'm using pixelmator and artboard (vector) so...;)
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    Until the iPad specs are definite I wouldn't waste my time, otherwise you're giving yourself an unnecessary amount of work.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    MetzoPaino said:
    Until the iPad specs are definite I wouldn't waste my time, otherwise you're giving yourself an unnecessary amount of work.

+1

Also The new iPad is said to be the iPad HD not iPad 3 Its just rumored to be the iPad 2 with Retina display. Its geared toward a Pro device and not consumer device. Like MacBook and Mac Book Pro. I bet they are doing it to have a whole different set of price points for this thing.