"Corruption" Issue Upon Loading Image Files

rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I put corruption in quotes as that is what folks have been referring to the issue as in some other threads in regards to things going south when loading image files (PNGs).

Well, my project took a cr@p loading some new images and re-loading a few images. Scene would not load. Click on an actor (prototype or instance) to edit their rules/behaviors/attributes and GS would die. The image for the actor would not display in the actor list (all that would show was blankness...not even a square line border). Then on a few other actors, the image would show but those tended to be the actors that would kill GS if you tried to edit their rules/behaviors/attributes.

After A/B testing various repairs at the filesystem level, including a lot of stare-n-compares and "diff" runs, I have determined that GS just doesn't like certain PNG formats.

The two differentiators I could find with the PNGs in question were:

-the PNG kept saving at 71.99 DPI despite being created with a setting of 72.0 DPI
-I was purposely saving the PNG in a compressed greyscale format instead of the typical RGB format

Now I know folks have been running PNG compressors on their images just fine so I don't think the fact of further compressing the PNG had anything to do with it.

I was creating my images in Paint Shop Pro on a PC. As stated, the image was created with the 72DPI setting but would save at 71.99. Just for giggles, I re-created the image using Pixelmator on a Mac and it would save out at 72.01DPI. I know a lot of folks use Pixelmator just fine too so I am hoping and thinking that this is not an issue.

Finally, I was saving the PNG file out using the PNG greyscale format since my images were monochrome with an alpha channel. This helped save on space. However, I think it was the major cause of my problems tonight. I went ahead and re-saved out as a compressed RBG mode PNG with 72DPI (that still saved out at 71.99DPI from a PC) and then used the image in GS. Guess what!? The image now showed up fine in the actor list when I drag-n-dropped it onto the actor and I could also edit the actor's (prototype and instance) rules/behaviors/attributes without GS dieing.

I hope this helps folks out there. I know it did me (although I do have to re-create a scene that I originally deleted as I thought that may clear things up but in sub-sequent testing with new scenes, I learned the hard way that that was probably not necessary).

Also, I hope the GS developers clarify PNG requirements or modify their code to support ALL PNG formats (or fix the bug that is not allowing greyscale format PNGs to be utilized consistently if they think they are already fully supporting the PNG format(s)).

Comments